Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kesavan Posts: 118, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2010, 07:00 AM
    Basic Quantities
    Why basic quantity of mass contain with prefix (whth k )?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2010, 07:51 AM

Units: CGS and MKS
    kesavan Posts: 118, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2010, 09:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Why they don't use "g"?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2010, 10:10 AM

and I quote "In 1954, the Tenth General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM) adopted the meter, kilogram, second, ampere, degree Kelvin, and candela as the basic units for all international weights and measures".

There is a system of units using centimeters, grams and seconds - called CGS.

Centimetre gram second system of units - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Internationally the MKS (meters, killograms and seconds) has been adopted as a Standard. That's what the link was supposed to convey.

Here is yet another reference: Metric system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With prefixes such as kilo and centi. Another way to look at things is people like to work with small numbers. Acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. Would you rather use 980 cm/s^2?

Would you rather talk about 10 uA or 10e-6 amps?

Signs are left out of certain things because they are "understood". A 10 MW power plant has to be a -10 MW power plant, because power is defined as the energy DISSIPATED, not generated. You have to use the negative number in calculations.

When doing solar cell measurements Jsc is negative, but the sign is often omitted.

Conventional current flows from the positive terminal to the negative terminal, but electrons go the other way because somebody goofed. It matters in solid state physics where holes are used for "conventional current". It also matters in electrolysis experiments in Chemistry.

One unit that gets blown out of propportion is the Pascal.
    32 pound/square inch = 220 632.232 96 pascal which is around the pressure in your tire in your car. Would you rather work with 32 PSI or 220,632 Pascals?

My answer wasn't blatently wrong and the disagree was unwarranted.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 15, 2010, 10:52 AM

KISS - you are to applauded for figuring out what the OP was asking about! I read the OP's post:

"Why basic quantity of mass contain with prefix (whth k )?"

And just skipped right on by, as I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about, So kudos for figuring out that he was asking about CGS versus MKS systems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is the Basic Impulse Level and the Basic Insulation Level the same thing? [ 1 Answers ]

Whereas some manufacturers talk about the dielectric breakdown level of insulation between the core windings, others refer to the point at which certain equipment(ie. generators begin to consume rather than produce energy.

Material quantities for concrete base [ 3 Answers ]

I need a concrete base for a shed. My boyfriend says he can do it for me and a friend has a cement mixer we can borrow but we don't know how to work out the quantities of the materials we will need. Can anyone help?

Painting quantities for doors, windows [ 1 Answers ]

how can I calculate the painting quantity of a flush door ( size say 0.9m x 2.1 m ) how can I calculate the painting quantity of a grill fixed in a window ( size say 0.75m x 1.2m )

This is the basic need [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know that friendship is importment in life or not because I have no friends. Should I have a friend or not, if yes than how?:rolleyes:

Basic [ 16 Answers ]

Is there anyone here that is a teenager and programs in Qbasic?

View more questions Search