Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CONTROLACE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2010, 08:50 PM
    Why would touching a test lead to hot side of recept.cause interference to audio
    How can just the test lead alone. Un connected to anything ,cause subwoofer to pop ? To me seems same as adding 24" of wire to hot connection. Same reaction with bare tip on screwdriver, etc.. Built in amp causeing some kind mag. Field? Antana type ?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2010, 09:12 PM

You have just created a 60 Hz transmitter.

When a hot and a neutral run near each other or in a metal box some amount of shielding or cancellation takes place.
    DanielF Posts: 158, Reputation: 14

Feb 14, 2010, 10:31 PM

Every mains wired house has an electromagnetic field radiated from the mains wiring. If you're in the USA it will be at 60Hz, or in the 'civilised' :-) world, 50Hz.

Any piece of metal (wire, screwdriver blade) acts as an antenna and picks up that 50/60Hz radiation (and a lot of its harmonics). So when you touch such an antenna to an audio amplifier input, the picked-up 'buzz' (fundamental plus harmonics) is amplified and makes a sound in the speaker.

Daniel

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My side by side whirlpool refrigerator gets hot on the front vertical separation wall [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. Why does my side by side whirlpool refrigerator get hot on the front panel of the refrigerator and freezer separator wall? Thank you.

Shock feeling when touching hot/cold water controls in bathtub [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter said she felt a slight prick ( I was guess like a shock feeling) when she touch ed the knobs while taking a bath? Needless to say my daughter got out ot the bath ! Never had this happen before. Sounds bad to me.

Hot divider panel in side by side refrigerator [ 2 Answers ]

Should the panel separating the freezer from the refrigerator on a side by side refrigerator be hot to the touch where the doors come to rest?

Hot water pipe touching fire sprinker pipe [ 6 Answers ]

I discovered why the water pressure in my fire prinkler system kept rising. It's because the hot water pipe is right up against the sprinkler pipe causing it to heat which then increases the pressure. Now can I wrap the pipe with insulation. Would this be a good fix? If so, should I wrap the hot...

15-20 amp recept. [ 1 Answers ]

Can I replace a 15 amp recpt to a 20 amp recpt.:confused:

View more questions Search