Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imation Posts: 284, Reputation: 36

Nov 25, 2006, 05:31 AM
    Meditation
    OK so lately maybe the last... 8 or so weeks I've been under a lot of stress with all manner of different things and have had anxiety attacks and just cried myself to sleep due to depression and just all the stuff happeing around me.. I think I have coped relatively... badly lol.
    I don't have any problems with coping.. I'm just not the best at it.. when one little thing messes up no matter how insignificant.. I seem to think everything is crashing around me. I need constant reassurance that everything is fine, and I am just making things up in my head. Now I know, obviously this is not good and I should do something to rectify the situation... I can't see a mental heath person.. OK ill say it, phycologist, because I don't have the money. I really need some help.. and I was wondering if meditation, or a similar form of relaxation could help me at all? Any advice, referrals or just comment will help me
    Thanks a lot
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2006, 07:26 AM
    Yes, meditation could help if you have the discipline to do it regularly. There are all kinds of methods and techniques taught by all kinds of practitioners, but as far as I can tell, they mostly boil down to learning to how choose your thoughts. It may feel as if your "train of thought" is barreling along at breakneck speed with nobody at the controls and you being helplessly dragged along, but this is an illusion. You are actually at the controls at all times, it's just that you may not remember where they are or how they work.

The first step is to just observe the passage of the train without attempting to intervene. Simply watch your thoughts arise and disappear without judgment or control. After you are able to do this at will and with a certain degree of detachment, you can begin to exercise some choice about how long to continue with a particular subject or idea. After that, you can begin to notice how new thoughts arise and get some understanding of where they come from. Eventually, it becomes possible to stop the train altogether for a period. It's in these intervals of "no thought" that real inner wisdom can rise to the surface. Try it and see how it goes. Keep in touch.
    isabelle Posts: 309, Reputation: 31

Nov 25, 2006, 07:35 AM
    Check with your county. I believe that there is some where that offers help to see a mental health doc or therpist.
    What orinary guy said is very good advise and it may work, but you also need to check out the programs that may help you with your money problems. Calling a help line will put you in touch with finding the help you need.
    It is sometimes good to try everything.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Nov 25, 2006, 07:42 AM
    I like to balance stress with both physical activity and meditation. I have a piece of exercise equipment I use first thing in the morning (it really helps charge the batteries and loosen me up for the day) and I meditate before my dinner (it really shakes off the concerns of the day and sets the tone of the evening). There are guided imagery meditations and transcendental meditations and prayer-like meditations, lots of kinds really with which you can experiment. If one doesn't seem to fit, try another. Same for the exercise. When you find what fits, you know it. Good idea and good luck!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2006, 07:58 AM
    Meditation works very well and is the best natural way of working through things in your mind, learning how to let go of things learning how to relax. Learn how to excersise your mind. Learn how to work both sides of the brain which creates brainwaves in people who meditate that help them enjoy life. Learn how to deal with stress, or even look at the world in a whole new world. The thing with meditation is it does take dedication and daily routine of it in order for you to see results. I would suggest starting slowly and working your way up to a certain time of meditation daily. For example, dedicate 15 minutes in the morning and at night.

There are different forms of meditation and different ways of meditation.

Sitting, standing, laying down. I think that the best option for you is sitting at the moment. Laying down chanches are you will fall asleep. Sitting to meditate until your able to do it very well then later on after lots of practise then do it laying down if you want.

Sit on a chair or on the floor. In Karate you learn how to meditate on the floor. In a dark room is best. Eyes closed. Now you can focus on your breathing. Or you could count your breathing.

The way I always practised was with a word (Mantra), or a phrase and I would repeat this word or phrase. At first, I would say it outloud then I would slowly say it softer and softer and quieter until I am saying it too myself. Now you will find at times that certain thoughts come to mind, do not focus or dwell on this thoughts. As soon as these thoughts come to your mind. What you do is recognize that you had those thoughts. Then you need to let it go out of your mind. Then refocus on the word or phrase that you have been repeating. And continue your meditation. Make sure the word or phrase is a possitive. Make sure it is something that you relate to relaxation but I am telling you that just the act and thought of repeating a phrase will help 90 percent. Now it is hard to keep track of time. So do not worry about it so much. When you get up from meditation, trust me get up slowly. If not, you will have a head rush.

Meditation can replace many addictions. Food, stress, fears, ciggerates, drugs. Meditation is a sure way of getting rid of any of these addictions. Yes, stress and fear can become an addiction.

Okay, now for other ways. If your laying down. You could imagine that your walking along a path in the mountains. You come up to a stream of water. You sit down by a rock and you just watch the water going down the stream. If your good at imagery when your eyes are closed. You can create anything that creates peace in your mind.

Also other things you can do is to say to each part of your body to relax. Toes, feet, ankle and so on. Continue saying this and focusing on different parts of your body going up and down. You will feel circulation and blood flowing up and down. Yes, men even experience erections during this process because what happens when blood flows through that area?

There are so many different ways of meditating. It is best to start with one way, and practise that way for several weeks. Changing it up all the time will not benefit you. Try it one way for many weeks before trying something new.

I hope this helps and good luck with the practising.

Joe
    imation Posts: 284, Reputation: 36

Nov 26, 2006, 03:03 AM
    I've tried medetating for a while now (15 minutes morning and night like you said jesushelper) and it was helping I think
    I found an online thing that plays audio tracks playing music and soft words saying breathe deeply and release and what not... all was going really well
    Then she started saying let go of all the cluttered thoughts and stress... and as soon as she said those kinds of things the anxiety feelings came back and I couldn't get rid of them
    I guess its expected seeing as it was more or less my first time but yeah
    I hope that doesn't continue
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2006, 06:13 AM
    It does take time. It does come back sometimes but with practise and with daily routine. It will get less and less of a situation the more you meditate. I know I had the same thing as you. Anxiety and guilt and so many negative thoughts go through me when I was a teenager and I was so anxious to get rid of it. There were times things cames flooding back and I would panic but the more I meditated the less times these situations happened. Stay on course, and practise daily and I guarantee that you will have it will get easier and easier. Online sounds and so forth is the lazy way of meditating. You need to come up with your own personal way of meditating that works best for you. The trap a lot of people get into, and this is including me. Is once you do feel a lot better, once you start feeling pretty good. People tend to not meditate as much or do not feel they need to practise anymore. Then eventually, things could come back. It is a new way of thinking and focusing.
    K_3 Posts: 304, Reputation: 74

Nov 26, 2006, 06:35 AM
    Meditation is great, the on line meditation sounds like a good start for you. When one starts, it is often helpful to have someone walking you through the meditation. When the anxiety comes and things start flooding, don't panic. Let those thoughts flow through you. Breathe them out, let them go. When those negative thoughts start crowding your mind during the day, replace them with a positive thought. Yoga is another great tool. I do an hour of yoga each morning and then do my meditation. The yoga session gets me relaxed and opens me up and then the meditation is wonderful. They have some yoga classes on TV I believe. Walking can help a lot also. There are those that meditate as they walk. When I have not been able to sleep, I have gotten up and done some yoga and a meditation and fallen asleep immediately.
    Experiment with different meditations, yoga, exercise, walking and you will come up with your own routine of them all. You are quite wise the way you are working at it. Good luck.
    pumibel Posts: 84, Reputation: 16

Nov 26, 2006, 12:47 PM
    You can use Tai Chi or Yoga, as well. Exercise is one of the most beneficial ways to improve your mood. Write in a diary or journal, too. I am really glad to hear you are finding a way to help yourself even though you cannot afford medical help. A lot of people feel stuck and fustrated by that, I think. DO take Isabell's advice and find a point of contact for help in case you find yourself in need of it. Sometimes we get overwhelmed to the point we need to hear a voice. My mother and sister have had to coach me through some anxious moments before. Sometimes you need human intervention. Keep in touch here, too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not concentrate during meditation [ 9 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I started to do meditation recently.What I do is just watch my breathe inhale and exhale.Secondly sometimes I do osho dynamic meditation but I feel I am wasting my time as I don't see any improvement in myself.I started this I have lack of concentration and to improve concentration I...

Is there any side effect of doing GYM exercise after meditation [ 7 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I am regularly doing OSHO DYNAMIC MEDITATION for one hour during 6.00am to 7.00 am.Then I start GYM exercise for muscular development from 7:15 to 08:00 a.m.Would any side effect happenedof doing exercise after meditation.Is it prescribed? vibhor

Yoga levels of meditation [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please give a good basic explanation of the types and levels of Yoga meditation?

View more questions Search