Direct materials 63,150
    Direct labor
    Manufacturing overhead
    Total manufacturing cost 213,000
    Work in process 1/1 18000
    Total cost of work in process 213000
    Work in process 9000
    Total of cost of goods manufactured 222,000

How do I find the manufacturing overhead?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2010, 06:03 PM

Something is wrong with the information.

You have three manufacturing costs: direct materials, direct labor and overhead. All three of those will end up in the Work in Process (WIP) account.

So the way the WIP account should work is:
    Beginning Balance
    +Total Manufacturing Costs
    = Total Cost of Work in Process
    - Cost of Goods Manufactured
    = Ending Balance

The "Total Manufacturing Costs" are the Direct Material, Direct Labor and Overhead. "Total Cost of Goods Manufactured" is what got finished and moved onto the Finished Goods Account. So you're starting with beginning balance, adding your 3 current period manufacturing costs, which gives the total in WIP. Then less cost of goods manufactured that got moved onto Finished Goods, gives you ending balance.

There's 3 issues here I've found. First, how can the amount of goods finished (222K) be higher than what was ever in the WIP account (213K)? That's impossible to take something out that doesn't exist. Second, how can current manufacturing costs (213K) be exactly the same as total WIP (213K) once beginning balance is added in? (That only happens when there's no beginning balance.)

Now, my suspicions are that you just copied a number incorrectly.

However, the third problem is that you have THREE manufacturing costs, with a total. If you had two of the three costs (or some other type of info), then you could solve for the missing one. But you have two missing ones. That's impossible to solve.

However, if you discover you've copied something incorrectly, use the above "equation" to insert what you have and work back to what you don't have.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you find the direct labor cost and manufacturing overhead cost? [ 2 Answers ]

Requirement 4: If the company treats that part of fringe benefits relating to direct labor as added direct labor cost, how much of Mark's wages and fringe benefits for the week will be allocated to direct labor cost and manufacturing overhead cost? (Omit the "$" sign in your response.) ...

Predetermined Overhead Rate & Overhead Applied [ 1 Answers ]

B3 Company is a manufacturing firm that uses job-order costing. The company applies overhead to jobs using a predetermined overhead rate based on machine-hours. At the beginning of the year, the company estimated that it would work 24,000 machine-hours and incur $216,000 in manufacturing overhead...

Applied manufacturing overhead [ 0 Answers ]

I have to computed the amount of applied manufacturing overhead. Do I have to take take the overhead rate for each cost pool and then that is multiplied by that pooløs actual cost driver level. So then would I take the actual manufacturing overhead incurred and then multiply it by the acutal...

View more questions Search