Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flstf120 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2010, 03:10 PM
    My air handler sounds like pipes rattling sometime when the heat pump come on or goes
    Had a defrost module replaced and the service man put 2 lbs of gas in the unit a week ago.. now the air handler sounds like a freight train coming through the house when the unit come on and sometime when it shuts off--it does not do it all the time and we can not duplicate it by turning it on and off at the switch or therostat--of course when the service man came back it would not make the noise and he thought we were crazy--it's so loud that it will wake you up at night--hhhhhhheeeeeeelllllllpppppppp!! Please what could be wrong??
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2010, 04:00 PM

When did the noise start - after the Freon was added? How was the system performing prior to this? 2 lbs. is a substantial amount of refrigerant to add - maybe too much in your case.

Feb 14, 2010, 04:34 PM

Started after the freon was added.. think it is building up too much head pressure on the compressor but would you hear this inside the house through the air handler?? Thanks...
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2010, 05:49 PM

In the heating mode, the hot gas discharged from the compressor goes directly to the indoor coil.
    johnair77 Posts: 59, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2010, 09:34 PM

Scroll compressor?
    cats7418 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Mar 15, 2010, 09:06 AM

Hello,
    I am having a similar problem. The system heats fine. After it cycles off for a while, the air handler makes a terrific noise for 20-30 seconds. It is a loud rumbling sound. Wakes you up at night. We had a HVAC guy come out and, of course, the noise did not occur and he gave us the look of disbelief. He checked the condenser and said the wrong size motor was installed and replaced it with the correct size. Problem did not go away. The outside unit also makes a vibrating noise like this: YouTube - Carrier Heat Pump Noise Problem (not my video)
    Any ideas? Thanks

Mar 15, 2010, 04:31 PM
    Well I finally got the company to come back and let out some of the freon and the noise went away... of course they said that was not the problem but funny how the noise started when they added freon and quit when the took some out... really need a warm day to get the gas charge where it should be... now if you unit has not had any extra freon put in it you could still have a problem withit building up too much head pressure... might be worth having them dump all the freon pull a vacuum and recharge the unit... do this on a warm day... good luck

Mar 16, 2010, 07:00 AM

This is happening in the "heat" cycle. Would the freon level affect the heat cycle? It has not been charged since we bought the house in November. We have not used the AC since then.

Mar 23, 2010, 10:06 AM

Nobody with any ideas?
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2010, 11:24 AM

Does it make a louder noise after shutoff, or during defrost?

Mar 23, 2010, 08:01 PM

This happens at a different time than the defrost. The noise is coming from the attic where the blower is. Yes, it is louder.
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2010, 06:02 AM

Most likely, the noise from the attic is being generated by the blower - if the wheel is very dirty, vibration will result. If not corrected, motor wear will result. The heat pump in the video sounds like a scroll compressor that is slapping a bit when the pressure unloads during switch-over from heating to defrost. I have corrected many a situation like this by replacing the compressor - when the unit was still under warranty. I noticed that the heat pump coil had a band of frost in the middle. This usually indicates a low refrigerant charge, or a restriction in the outdoor distributor. I am more suspicious of a restriction, since the unit seemed to defrost pretty quickly. A system that is properly charged at initial start-up won't require additional charging unless a leak develops. Have you ever noticed frost-banding like that on your heat pump?
    sgljaxguy Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Sep 13, 2010, 01:01 PM
    There is a valve in the freon line that reverses the flow direction when the thermostat is changed from heating to cooling. I was told that this valve goes bad and "flutters" when the unit starts up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New heat pump inside air handler makes swooshing sounds when operating [ 3 Answers ]

We live in Jacksonville Florida. In August 2009 I purchased a new Goodman 4 ton heat pump system, R410 with a Variable speed air handler. GSZ2130481 & AEPF4260616 (Note, I purchased this unit from a wholesale company new in box with warranty, I installed the condenser and air handler /...

Heat pump air handler [ 1 Answers ]

Carrier air handler have only cold air.

New heat pump with old smaller air handler [ 1 Answers ]

I had a 10 seer heat pump that was replace with a 13 seer heat pump. The air handler or coil was not change it is a 10 seer. My problem is I have 1039 sq ft. my den and bedroom are the farest away from air handler the den has no air flow and bedroom has very little. What is the problem.

Getting a new heat pump: get new air handler too? [ 3 Answers ]

My heat pump (outside condenser unit) is dying and needs replacement. Indoor air handler running fine. Both units are 10 year old Carriers. 2 questions: 1. Do I need to replace the indoor air handler unit at the same time? I know doing so would be best for efficiency, but ignoring that, is it OK...

New Heat Pump/Air Handler [ 1 Answers ]

We live in a 3 level, small single family house. We are replacing our heat pump and air handler - We want to know if a 2.5 ton unit (either in or out) can be paired with a 2 ton unit. Do they both have to be the same amount of tons?

View more questions Search