Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joylee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2010, 02:39 PM
    13-year-old received $22,000 in ssdi backpay, is it OK to use some of it for a car?
    My husband has not received his back pay yet, so far just one monthly check. Due to his being disabled for over three years we do not own a car and must borrow one just to buy groceries. We know that we must report on our daughter's monthly check annually, but social security is unclear on our daughter's back pay. She is not disabled in any way, but still has regular appointments etc.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2010, 05:32 PM

Don't understand how she could receive $22,000 back pay if she is not disabled in any way but your husband has not received any lump sum yet. How does she receive this money?

Feb 14, 2010, 05:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Don't understand how she could receive $22,000 back pay if she is not disabled in any way but your husband has not received any lump sum yet. How does she receive this money?
    Our daughter's money is from my husband's disability. The money is her part of the family benefit. My husband is due over $40,000 (from March '07) but we cannot get a definite date on when he will receive it. For some reason, Social Security paid her before they did him. She will also receive a check every month beginning this month.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 14, 2010, 06:04 PM

While I would seriously put her money into a savings account and other investment for her future, college and education, I am sure one or both parents were named to be over the money for her benefit.

And of course the money can be used for all aspects of her care and wellbeing. If I used a large amount for a use like this, I would be sure and return it when the other funds for husband came in

Feb 14, 2010, 06:11 PM

Thank you both for replying. We will certainly replace the money for her and intended only to buy a used car until my husband's back pay arrives. Her money is in a savings account with my husband as representative payee. It is my understanding that any money saved for her will have to be returned to Social Security once she turns 18, sort of a catch 22.
    Persona Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2010, 08:15 PM

Or you could try to discretely build a safe into a wall. Or go to your local hardware store or wal mart and save your own monies. Not sure of the state and requirements where you live and SSDI there. But most states do not require to hold all your money in the bank. Not sure if you would be required to show where it all goes. So be prepared for that aspect. But legally make the system work for you! This is and will be your family's lively hood for many years to come. Know your rights and limits regarding SSDI. And don't forget depending on family size you may qualify for Food Stamps as well. And qualify for medicaid or other form of government healthcare. When you deserve these benefits and qualify for theme. Use them to the fullest extent lawfully allowed!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A company issued 5-year, 7% bonds with a par value of $100,000. The company received [ 4 Answers ]

A company issued 5-year, 7% bonds with a par value of $100,000. The company received $97,947 for the bonds. Using the straight-line method, the amount of interest expense for the first semiannual interest period is:

Sales $300,000, cost $265,000, year end of $2000,00 effect on ROE if 60% dbt ratio [ 1 Answers ]

Last year Charter Corp. had sales of $300,000, operating costs of $265,000, and year-end assets of $200,000. The debt-to-total-assets ratio was 25%, the interest rate on the debt was 10%, and the firm's tax rate was 35%. The new CFO wants to see how the ROE would have been affected if the firm...

On July 1, 2010, Brower Industries Inc. Issued $32,000,000 of 10-year, 12% bonds at a [ 1 Answers ]

On July 1, 2010, Brower Industries Inc. Issued $32,000,000 of 10-year, 12% bonds at an effective interest rate of 13%, receiving cash of $30,237, 139. Interest on the bonds is payable semiannually on December 31 and June 30. The fiscal year of the company is the calendar year. Instructions: ...

A company issued 5-year, 7% bonds with a par value of $100,000. The company received [ 1 Answers ]

A company issued 5-year, 7% bonds with a par value of $100,000. The company received $97,947 for the bonds. Using the straight-line method, the amount of interest expense for the first semiannual interest period is:

Received a 35,000.00 dollars judgement but still no justice served. [ 2 Answers ]

I am a contractor in Virginia and was recently burned by a customer /contractor. This was a job done at a federal facility(Post-Office) in which I was acting as a subcontractor for a contractor I had done many other jobs for in the past. I paid my crew and for equipment and completed the job. In...

View more questions Search