Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    899874xx Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2010, 11:42 AM
    What's the best way to potty train a 5 month old puppy?
    In December I got a puppy.He pees on the carpet,and he needs to stop!Sometimes when I take him on walks he pees.All I want to know a website that tells how to potty train a puppy,or someone can just tell me how to as an answer.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2010, 11:52 AM

Work and consistency.
    Take the puppy out after he plays, after he eats, after he drinks, after he wakes up from having a nap, etc. If he starts sniffing around, take him out.
    When he does go out and he pees or poops, make a HUGE DEAL out of it. Give him treats, praise him, tell him he's good.

Do not punish him if he pees inside. If you come in and find a pee spot, take him out and don't make a big deal over the spot. As a puppy, he will not be able to make the connection as to why he is being punished for something he did half an hour ago.
    Even if you catch him in the act and yell at him or whatever, it isn't a good idea in my opinion. Catching him peeing and yelling at him may make him think that you get mad when he pees, which will make trying to get him to pee in front of you outside very hard.. and he may just find places in the house to pee where you can't see.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 14, 2010, 12:20 PM

899874XX I have deleted your other three posts. You posted them in two and three year old posts where the Puppy then is not a dog and older dogs. Please do not answer older archived posts. I have also closed the posts you previous answered.

Feb 14, 2010, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    899874XX I have deleted your other three posts. You posted them in two and three year old posts where the Puppy then is not a dog and older dogs. Please do not answer older archived posts. I have also closed the posts you previous answered.
    OK thanks for telling me

Feb 14, 2010, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariss View Post
    Work and consistency.
    Take the puppy out after he plays, after he eats, after he drinks, after he wakes up from having a nap, etc. If he starts sniffing around, take him out.
    When he does go out and he pees or poops, make a HUGE DEAL out of it. Give him treats, praise him, tell him he's good.

Do not punish him if he pees inside. If you come in and find a pee spot, take him out and don't make a big deal over the spot. As a puppy, he will not be able to make the connection as to why he is being punished for something he did half an hour ago.
    Even if you catch him in the act and yell at him or whatever, it isn't a good idea in my opinion. Catching him peeing and yelling at him may make him think that you get mad when he pees, which will make trying to get him to pee infront of you outside very hard.. and he may just find places in the house to pee where you can't see.
    Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Potty training an eight month old puppy from a puppy store [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I were at a pet store a week ago and saw the cutest little 8 month old Ratpoo. He was 'on sale' as they were trying to get rid of him as he had been there for 8 months. Our hearts broke for him so we decided to take him home (we also have a 6 YO lab/pit mix girl). We put him in a...

I have a 3 month old female daschund. She is very hard to potty train. [ 9 Answers ]

:eek: :eek: My 3 month old female daschund will not learn to potty outside. She will go to the door and unirnate at the door. She will also be outside for 30 minutes and come right in and urinate. Sometimes when you go to pick her up, she will run away and urinate. Is there something we can do...

What is a good way to potty train a St. Bernard Puppy [ 2 Answers ]

I have just bought a St. Bernard (6 week old) puppy. What is a good way to train the dog to go potty outside and not pee when just coming out of kennel or after I have let the pup outside already and then after letting pup back in he pee's the minute on entry?

How do I potty train my 9 month old cat? [ 2 Answers ]

My 9 month old cat potty's on everything! He knows how to use a litter box but I want him to go outside so I don't have a stinky litter box. So I put him outside after he eats and when I let him in he pottys on something. And I know he goes outside because lately he has been outside most of the...

How do I train my 5 month old Pomeranian not to go potty in the house? [ 2 Answers ]

A quick remedy for teaching my 5 month old Pomeranian, not to go potty in the house. I just bought him 2 days ago.

View more questions Search