Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orbit3 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2010, 10:30 PM
    Large Tiles for Shower
    I am remodeling my bathroom. One wall (accent wall) is 8' by 7'. I found a tile I love but it only comes in 1'x4' pieces. Is this tile too large to put on a shower wall? Should I be concerned about possible cracking in the future? Could I reinforce the wall somehow and then be able to use the tile? Thaniks.
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Feb 14, 2010, 06:12 PM

Is this a ceramic tile? What grade is it?

Feb 14, 2010, 08:04 PM
    Its described as, "color body porcelain stoneware"... doesn't say anything about grade
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Feb 14, 2010, 08:45 PM

You could always get the tile cut to the size you would like it to be at Lowe's or home depot. You could also even rent a tile cutter.
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Feb 15, 2010, 12:28 PM

After searching online it is porcelain and is rate as grade 4.. this will be hard to work with but it looks like a great product. I found the info @ marazzi tile. Fyi, it comes in different sizes there.
    As long as you prep and support the wall it will work. If you can post a picture that would help.. I can't seen to vizualize the project.. thanks

Feb 15, 2010, 03:39 PM
    I couldn't copy the pic but here is the link. I've been told the only size the tile comes in is 12x48. If I can use it as a whole piece, I'd rather not cut it but that would be an option. Thanks for all the help.

http://www.ragnousa.com/english/single.php?id=40|0|0|1655
    tile guru Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Feb 15, 2010, 04:42 PM

Using larger tile is no problem. Be sure to prep the walls the proper way before installing the tiles. Using coated backer board screws, mesh tape on the joints & corners. Also purchase a waterproofing membrane from Lowe's or your local tile store. It is the most important step of the entire process for eliminating leaks & mold issues.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have water behind tiles in shower? [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter says she suspects I have water behind tiles in the shower. Toward the bottom there are a few tiles that are proturding out further, but they seem to be or rather they are not loose by any means. Is there a way to be sure how to tell if there is water behind the tiles in the shower, or...

Shower tiles [ 1 Answers ]

What are some of the most water resistant tiles to use in a shower?

Shower tiles on the loose [ 21 Answers ]

Hi can anyone tell me if there is any type of waterproof paint that would be good on a shower wall.my shower walls were completely tiled until Friday and then disaster struck ,I heard a loud cracking noise and when I checked one wall of tiles had bent and moved away from the wall.irevoved them and...

Shower Tiles [ 1 Answers ]

All of our showers are fiberglass,one piece designs. I want to tile them without removing them. Is this possible? If so, what all is needed to do this?

Shower Tiles [ 3 Answers ]

The shower tiles in the shower stall have mildew. Also one of the wall with tiles below the glass shower wall is buckling. The tiles right in front of the shower (once you step out) has mildew and moves a little. Could anyone suggest how I can correct these without breaking my bank. Thanks.

View more questions Search