Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pking99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2010, 08:44 PM
    What size header is needed for a 6' opening on an end wall when removing 5 studs?
    I am converting an attached garage into a formal dining area. The garage is on the other side of the end wall of the house where the living room and kitchen are. The garage was 2 steps down from the kitchen. I have replaced the garage door with 2 windows and raised the floor 9" using 2x8s on 16" centers.

I want to make a 6' opening between the living room and the new dinning room. This will entail removing 5 end wall studs. As the garage ceiling is lower than the house ceiling, when I measured from the bottom of the end wall top plate, (2) 2x12s would be 1" below the garage ceiling. So would 2x10s be sufficient to cover a 6' opening?
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Feb 14, 2010, 06:27 PM

I could fill the header area with 2x12 rippep the correct width.most headers are 2 pieces 2x with plywood in the middle. Keep in mind that the cripple studs on top of the header will be a pain if they are 1 or 2 inches long.. better to fill the space with header.. just a thought

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Header in Gable End Wall [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking for some input on headers required in Gable End Walls. I don't have a true header above my livingroom window and am wondering if, since it is a gable end wall, one is required. In the attached pic, the blue rectangle is the rim joist (SINGLE 2x10 - approx. 15' overall length) which...

Bearing wall header size [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to replace the outside wall in a mobil home The span is 15'7" where the sliding door is.

Finding wall studs [ 1 Answers ]

What is the easiest way to locate wall studs?

Header size for load bearing wall [ 2 Answers ]

I live is a colonial 2 story home. I am currently remodeling my kitchen/dining room. I currently have a header of 68 inches on the load bearing wall between my dining room and living room. I want to open that up to 84 inches. Can I use dimensional lumber to frame out the header and if so what...

Framing a door opening with metal studs [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I am adding a guest bedroom and bath to our finished basement. I purchased 2 1/2 wide studs (as they were less expensive). However I don't know how to fram the door opening with this size stud. Do I need to return the 2 1/2 and exchange or the normal size stud or is there another...

View more questions Search