Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kmcjunkion Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2010, 01:51 PM
    Briggs and stratton carburetor floods out spark plug
    I have a lincoln power arc 4000 welder generator with a Briggs and Stratton engine, the problem I am having is that it will not start? When I check the spark plug it is always wet with gas. When I spray carb cleaner in air filter it will run for a couple seconds and then die back out. I have taken the carb apart and checked and cleaned it twice and still have the same problem. Any suggestions?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 13, 2010, 02:38 PM

1) have you tried replacing the gas and making sure there is no water in the system?
    2) What have you done to the spark plug when you take it out and it is wet? Dry it off and clean it or preheat the plug?
    3) does it have a auto choke system on the carb?

Feb 14, 2010, 04:35 PM

1) The tank was empty and I just put new gas in it. The gas in the filter didn't smell bad or look like it had water in it. 2) I dried it off once and then replaced it with a new one and got the same results.. 3) No, I have to slide the lever over to choke.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2010, 05:25 PM

What is the engine numbers?

Did anything happen to the engine before it happened? Storage? Something else?

How about the oil level sensor? That's always a possible problem.

Check oil. If OK bypass sensor.

I saw this earlier, but I forgot about the oil level sensor for generators.

Feb 15, 2010, 08:26 AM

Oil level is good, and I haven't checked it but I assume the sensor is good because it starts to run with carb cleaner. I usually start it up and run it a least twice a year, but do to health reasons it hasn't been started since Nov. of 08. I did try and start when I was able about 4 months ago, and that's when I found out about this problem.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 10:59 AM

Chek and see if you have spark.if not check off and on switch,check oil senser.check amuture coil

Feb 17, 2010, 12:56 PM

It has good spark.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 01:02 PM

Okay , sounds like you have a valve stuck ,check you compression.
    This happens all the time because there's more detergent in gas than gas nowadays.

Feb 17, 2010, 01:35 PM

It fires right up when I spray carb cleaner in the carb? But, I will check comp. anyway.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 01:40 PM

Check your fuel.
    Take a hammer handle held stick in in the tank pull it out walk away and stick a flame to it.sounds like your fuel is bad .if it poofs when it lights its good ,if it lights real slow dump it out and start over.you will have to drain the carb. Bowl aiso.

Feb 17, 2010, 01:53 PM

I will give that a try when I get home this weekend and I will let you know what I find out. Thank all of you for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

16 hp Briggs and Stratton No Spark [ 10 Answers ]

I've disabeled all the safety switches, the engine turns over fine and I've isolated the ignition armateur (unplugged the ground wire from it.) the old one had spark on one lead but not the other so I figured it was bad. It ran sometimes but other times it would not start. Now that I bought a...

Briggs 14.5 hp ohv - No spark to spark plug [ 1 Answers ]

Was mowing tall grass when it died. At first there was a small spark at the plug but now there is none. Had been having to use pickup to jump start the Huskee 38" riding mower. Where can I find a schematic for this engine. Model 287707 Type 1224-E1 Code 000531ZD

12 hp Briggs & Stratton spark plug gap setting [ 2 Answers ]

What is the spark plug gap setting on a 12 hp B&S ? This is an OLD Montgomery Ward PowerKraft rider. Probably late 70's early 80's model.

Briggs and stratton 16 hp no spark [ 1 Answers ]

Crap that may be! How do I tell if the coil is good? I put an ohm meter across the spark leads. I think it said 4 ohms? I'm bidding on a manual for it on eBay. How do I do the gap. I pretty much just unbolted it and bolted the new one in it's place. I did put a connection on the otherwise bare...

Briggs & Stratton 18.5 motor floods gas [ 1 Answers ]

My motor is spitting gas out the carb. And floods now.

View more questions Search