Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kwakasmith Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2010, 12:45 PM
    gfci breaker trips when I switch it on
    I had to install 3 x GFCI breakers in my panel to bring my kitchen up to code following a kitchen remodel (lucky for me I have 3 separate circuits in my 10x10' kitchen !). Two of the breakers switch on fine and test OK. One of the breakers trips immediately when switched on. I have tested the breaker on another circuit and it works fine. I have also checked the wiring on the 3 outlets which seem to be in order and have also worked fine for the last 2 years that they were installed.

The circuit had no loads on it when tested. Does anyone know why this might be happening ? Are there any tools that could help me isolate the problem area ?

Brgds
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2010, 05:53 AM
    The breaker that trips was tested on another circuit, so that proves the breaker is fine. Have you tested the circuit on another GFI breaker?

Likely the circuit has a ground fault that is being detected. Could be a nick by a nail or screw into a cable.

Disconnect all receptacles so that all wring is cleared, reconnect circuit to a working breaker, and test. As one section of cable is tested, and the breaker does not trip, keep re-connecting sections of cable, until the breaker finally trips. This will help find the faulty section of cable.

One thing to watch out for, is to not let any bare grounds touch the neutral terminals at receptacles, that will trip a GFI also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFCI trips occasionally when switch is turned on [ 2 Answers ]

GFCI is tripped occasionally when exhaust fan switch is turned on or turned off. The GFCI outlet is in the bathroom and is the first outlet. It fees a second outlet which in turn feeds a switch. This switch controls three fixtures. There is a switch for the Vanity lights, the exhaust fan light...

3-way switch trips GFCI [ 1 Answers ]

All, I installed a GFCI in a bathroom that has 2 outlets, 2 vanity light bars controlled by a pair of 3-way switches, and a shower room with a Nutone fan/heater/light combo. I installed a GFCI in one outlet and when I turn on the lights, the GFCI trips. Both outlets have two cables in them and...

GFCI breaker trips on outdoor BBQ [ 3 Answers ]

I built a big brick BBQ 2 years ago and it has worked flawlessly. The BBQ has a dedicated circuit from the garage panel. There is a switch on top (of the counter) that controls an outlet behind the fridge for the rotisserie, and there is one outlet that has power for the fridge. I was required by...

New switch trips breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I added a plg strip to an existing circuit,and plugged fluorscent fixture into strip.I then wired a switch and plugged it into strip. Off the switch I ran two 14/3 cables with plugs on the end to be used with portable lights.When switch is on everything works fine, but when I turn switch to off...

GFCI on breaker panel trips, 3 way, how to find the problem? [ 1 Answers ]

Periodically one GFCI in the panel trips This particular circuit runs an outside outlet, one light in the basement and it seems to work 2 switches and a plug in the family room The problem with the 2 switches in the family room at opposite ends are suppose to turn the plug off and on as a 3...

View more questions Search