Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paulyd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2010, 09:00 PM
    Is there a time restriction on what time of night a process server(private) can come
    Is there a time restriction on what time of night a process server(private), can come to serve papers? Can they walk around a house and bang on the windows? Isn't that trespassing?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2010, 10:55 AM

No, it's not trespassing. Your version of "banging on windows" may very well by the process server's idea of "knocking to see if anyone is home." I own/operate a process service and, yes, I've knocked on windows.

What time was service attempted and what State?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 13, 2010, 11:55 AM

I found that 4 am was often a good time, the person is confused and mad and normally comes to the door to curse me out ( back in the day when I used to do service)

Also tresspass normally requires that they be previously warned not to be on your property, ( depends on the state)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2010, 05:58 PM

I've had private process servers serve people at 2AM, 3AM, 4AM, 5AM, 6AM - you name it. I knew when the person was supposed to be home and the process server took it from there. Once they saw the person's car arrive and park in the driveway regardless of what time it was they were served. They got paid only when the person was served so they didn't care about what time of day or night it was.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 15, 2010, 06:54 PM

Off subject, but I did a lot ( alot) in the projects in down town Atlanta.

My favorite there was to dress like a bounty hunter, and beat on the door, saying I wanted ( so and so * a made up name) they were so happy to prove they were not the person I wanted to arrest, they would prove they were the person I wanted to serve.

I had magnetic signs for my van, that said delivery service, and all sorts of things to trick people to come to the door
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2010, 07:01 AM

Sometimes "my guys" show up with a pizza box. Everyone answers the door for pizza.

I also once took my dog on a leash, went to the person's front door, started pounding on the door and yelling, "Hey, your dog got loose." When the guy came out I served him. He actually reported to the Court that that was bad service because it wasn't his dog!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 16, 2010, 07:50 AM
    Interesting stories. In the movie Pineapple Express Seth Rogen portrays a process server using various disguises to serve.

Let me put it this way. Process service is simply the process of letting someone know they have been sued. Ducking service makes little sense. If the process server can prove they have made multiple attempts to serve, the court may deem that sufficient service. All ducking service does is delay the inevitable. Better to accept service, then deal with the issue.
    trentc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2011, 11:37 AM
    When a person can be served depends on the rules of civil procedure for that particular state. Here's a list of process serving rules for each state. Enjoy!
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2011, 12:23 PM

This is an easy site to find and post but it doesn't answer the question. I asked specifically the name of the State and OP did not come back.

Which States do you find that limit hours of service?

I find nothing in what you posted that limits the hours during which process can be served. Of course, I haven't looked at all of the States.

I find it interesting that process cannot be served on Saturday if Saturday is the "Sabbath" for the person served. The process server wouldn't ordinarily know this. Seems like reason to set process aside, spend time and money, only to get served "properly."
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 26, 2011, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    ... I find it interesting that process cannot be served on Saturday if Saturday is the "Sabbath" for the person served. ...
    That is interesting. What state is that? So, if I understand correctly,
    • A Christian served on a Sunday: proper service
    • A Jew served on a Saturday: improper service

(I understand that the meaning of the word varies within each religion.)

Strange.
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2011, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    That is interesting. What state is that? So, if I understand correctly,
    • A Christian served on a Sunday: proper service
    • A Jew served on a Saturday: improper service

(I understand that the meaning of the word varies within each religion.)

Strange.

I'll have to go back through the States - let me take a look. I was surprised and it was the first one I looked at.

And if the person is Orthodox, that also rules out Friday night.

EDIT: Found it! It's Minnesota - 624.04 Service of process on the Sabbath prohibited. Every service of legal process upon the Sabbath day, except in case of a breach or apprehended breach of the peace, or when sued out for the apprehension of a person charged with crime, or where such service is expressly authorized by statute, is hereby prohibited.

I see all sorts of complications with this. Obviously it "works" or it would taken off the books but...
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 26, 2011, 04:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I see all sorts of complications with this. Obviously it "works" or it would taken off the books but ...
    Well, either that or judicial precedent is well known to all Minnesota practitioners, but the legislature has never bothered to clean it up.

Garrison Keillor country: my guess is that there weren't a lot of Moslims or 7th Day Advenists when it was written. But who knows?
    :D

Wrong cite, BTW: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?year=2010&id=624

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Night time loneliness. [ 11 Answers ]

My ex of almost 1 year broke up over a month ago. I've been through the mopping part, the crying out your eyes, neglecting your body blah, blah, blah, all that good stuff. Since then, I've gotten pretty good, little contact, being able to see him in the hallways at school and being fine, hanging...

FICA refund process time [ 4 Answers ]

Hello my status is an F1 and I'm on my OPT, where I work they mistakely withhold my money on social security and medicare, so my company said they going to reimbursed that for me. My question is : 1.how long the process of the refund? 2. Does the refund have to be filed during tax refund month...

Night TIme sickness [ 1 Answers ]

Ive been feeling sick at night and specifically at night.. I'm a boy. I'm 18 What's the problem>? I'm thinking its because maybe I'm not eating right. I don't feel hungry but when I eat I feel better a little then my stomach hurts again. I feel like I'm going to BARF then I end up not.. its...

Is there a time process for getting rid of a roommate [ 8 Answers ]

There is a girl who stays in me and my husband's home in our spare bedroom. She has given us monies in the past, but there is no lease, and she is residing in our home as we are. I want her to move, as we all do not get along as we thought we would. Is there a process I have to follow, or time...

View more questions Search