Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sally m Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2010, 04:54 PM
    How to format an existing partition-there is data in it -
    I have 2 os running both are winxp pro how to remove one of them and format that partition to use it as a storage
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 12, 2010, 05:34 PM

First move all the data off the partiton. Then use the Disk utilities to format the partition to use for storage.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2010, 05:38 PM

do you get the dual boot option when you power on and get to choose which one you want to boot to?

Is the first one drive C: and the one you want to keep?

what you would need to do is to edit your boot.ini file to remove the 2nd boot option (drive d:) and then after that is edited out, the computer will just boot to c: drive and then you can format d:

this is for above situation, if you want to remove d: and keep c: as your boot drive

go to c:\ and then right click on boot.ini

example of boot.ini file

[boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S

[operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional Number 2" /fastdetect
    In the above pic you see under [operating systems] that there are 2 entries, the first one being your first choice in your boot menu when you boot (usually c: drive)

the 2nd entry would be the 2nd option in your boot menu when you boot PC

Delete line 2 and then save the file and say OK

Now when you start the computer, it will not give you boot menu and boot to the one that you left in the boot.ini file

Make sure you delete the line for the OS you want to remove

After back in windows, you should be able to format the partition you are attempting to do

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to format one partition? [ 6 Answers ]

I partitioned h. drive 80 Gb on two partitions. One is for OS and applications (10 Gb) and other (the rest) for everything. I want to format 1st partition w/out damaging other because, I guess, it cougth a virus. How can I do this? Thank you.

How format one partition alone [ 1 Answers ]

I have 4 partitions. By mistake OS is now installed in C and E. I want to remove it from E and delete all links to it.

Cannot Format My Partition with Windows XP [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Recently My computer got infected with Virus. I was not able to load printer driver. Also any other programmes. And when I tried to open task manager it said your administrator has disabled this feature. I tried to re install Windows using Xp CD. When it came to format the partition I was...

Format of c partition [ 1 Answers ]

I made partition of harddisk after os from disk management, but system got dead with error grub 1.5 error 17, I install o.s. window XP again creating new partion E to recorver data from c and formet E and install os. But lateron I tried lot to formet the partion C to utilized all space of that...

Format a partition [ 3 Answers ]

How Do I Fromat A Partition With Os And Reload Os In The Same Partition

View more questions Search