Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    REebrokeragent Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2010, 01:28 PM
    What is the required notice time to evict a month to month tenant in Virginia
    I have a basement tenant who has been slow pay. No trouble, just can't pay on time. He does pay before it is 30 days late, but I want to ask him to leave. How much notice do I have to give him? 60 days? 30 days? What if he decides not to pay rent during this time? I don't have a written lease.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2010, 11:19 AM

I believe its 30 days in Virginia. If he doesn't pay you can always take them to court for it. But then you have to collect it, which isn't as easy.

Is it worth a months rent to get them out and someone who pays on time in? Only you can answer that one.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 31, 2010, 01:02 PM

Also how much late fees do you charge each time he is late, I had two rental homes where I loved them to pay late, I made a lot extra because they paid 5 days late each month.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord Requiring 2 month Vacating Notice on 3 month (month to month) lease [ 21 Answers ]

I am in a situation and am in need of some advice. I am currently renting an apartment in Minneapolis. I am doing an internship which only requires me to live here for 3 Months. I signed a lease with a complex on a month to month basis. I planned to Move out at the end of April, so on march 1 I...

Giving notice to a month-to-month tenant w/ no written agreement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I really want to move my current tenant out of the guesthouse. He never cleans and has an unsightly and dangerously huge pile of used computer parts, newspapers and old mail in the middle of the kitchen floor, despite being asked repeatedly to remove it. How much notice must I give him, and...

Notice required on a month to month lease? [ 9 Answers ]

I signed a 1 year lease that ended on July 31, 2006 in Minnesota. The lease states that if resident stays in the apt after the lease ends, with managements approval, it becomes a month to month lease. I stayed. The notice period stated in the lease is 60 days, effective the last day of the month....

Notice of Termination for Month To Month tenancy - Virginia [ 22 Answers ]

Hello all, We have been renting this unit from a landlord who is giving us a bit of trouble. We signed the lease on June 2006 and the lease ended on June 2007 so now it’s month-to-month. On March 31, 2007 the landlord sent us a greeting card that the rent will not be raised. Here are her...

View more questions Search