Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CPUhelpneeded Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2010, 08:27 AM
    spybot, C:WINDOWssystem32driversetchosts
    Hi all, I ran Spybot and got 15 error for Fraud.WindowsProtectionSuite and 3 errors for Mircosoft.Windoes.RedirectedHosts

I try to have Spybot fix the issue but I get an error of: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts = access denies. So nothing happens.

Can some one help me with this?
    Thanks
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2010, 10:30 AM

I have had issues with spybot search and destroy in the past.The problems like this are either unfixable by spybot and need to be fixed by another application,or they are already running and the program can't end them.

I have found that PC Speed it up Check-up and PC optimizer Pro have cleared up many other problems not addressed by spybot SAD.

PC Speed it up Check-up ,if I remember it correctly, was a free application,the other one was a pay site.Older versions were found to be free with some research.

Hope this helped:)
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2010, 04:14 PM

The hosts file is found in the listed directory, and can make manual redirects to block ads, create a command base for your browser, whatever you can be creative about. Some other programs, addons, or anti-virus's will alter this file in order to block, or change host/ip names.

What that error basically says, is there are some "hosts" that aren't matching up. SBSD will check the IP with the host name, and if they don't match up you get an error, mostly because that's what some virus's do in order to construct phishing attacks.

Go to

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\

And right click on the hosts file and click properties. After the dialogue box comes up, make sure 'Read Only'

In spybot go to...

Mode> Advanced Mode > Tools

Click on IE Tweaks, and makesure "Lock Hosts File" is unchecked. Then try your fix again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spybot [ 4 Answers ]

Search & Destroy cannot delete the HKYE_USERS\S-1-5-21. Any idea why

Spybot destroyed my PC ,help [ 5 Answers ]

Hello Guyz, I'm having serious problems on my computer, after I've ran spybot search & destroy (I) I can't open Adobe Reader documents in I nternet Explorer (ii) Can't open any .exe files display message unable to execute file in the temporary directory. Setup aborted. Can...

SpyBot [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I use AdAware_SE, which has updates about every week. I also use SpyBot, but it hasn't had any updates for awhile now. Also use Spyware Blaster, with regular updates. Does anyone use a different free program, other than AdAware_SE, and Spyware Blaster, that you find has regular updates? I...

SpyBot [ 5 Answers ]

Windows2000 I have run SpyBot for some while. (I also run AdAware). Spybut used to run a full scan relatively quickly but currently seems to have slowed down - and getting slower. Any help appreciated. GeorgeH.

Spybot [ 1 Answers ]

I ran spybot s&d came up with error during check cabrotor[Datei:C:\windows\winiini Kan nic what does that mean?

View more questions Search