Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boris2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2010, 02:40 AM
    Budgie nesting boxes
    I did not provide a nesting box for my budgies as I thought they would not mate unless they had one. The hen laid an egg in a shallow dish on the cage floor used for treats.We put up a nesting box and placed the egg inside but the hen would not go into it.We did not know what to do so replaced egg in shallow dish and the hen has laid more eggs.Can anyone advise us what to do.The male is feeding and looking after her.Please help.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 15, 2010, 01:18 PM

I don't know a lot about nesting budgies, but birds in general, they don't care if you provide a nesting box or not, if they want to lay, they will.

Once she does lay an egg it's my understanding that moving it will make her avoid it. For now leave the eggs in the dish. If she lays more eggs after these hatch she'll most likely use the nesting box, but it's too late for this batch.

Make sure she's warm, offer higher quality food, she needs lots of protein at this time because laying eggs takes a lot out of a bird. Actually crush some chicken egg shells into a powder and mix it with her food, this is very healthy and full of nutrients she needs.

They know what to do, so just leave them be. No handling at this time and put them in a quiet room so they can hatch their eggs.

If you need more info Google Budgie nesting, or baby budgies, I'm sure there are great sites out there that can give you all the info you need and more about how to go about this.

Congrats. :)
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 08:37 AM

I really don't know very much about budgies either, but I do know from taking care of wild birds that once you touch their eggs, they don't have much interest in caring for it any more. I also noticed that once the chick is born the mother bird neglects it as well. I have know idea if this is scientifically proven, it was something I noticed while caring for wild and injured birds. Hope this helps. When the mother neglected the baby chick, we moved it to a home made incubator, and we received instructions on how to make a homemade bird "chow" I remember it consisted of kitten food, but I can't remember the rest. I will look for the list and send it. Is the mother bird still keeping the egg warm now?

Yikes I was reading on the internet trying to find the ingredients, turns out it's illeagl to house wild birds or care for baby birds abandond... Good thing I was only a kid!
    Pets Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 09:56 AM

Wild birds and budgies are a bit different. My grandfather raised budgies and cockatiels. I was pretty young then but I did pick up a few things. I loved watching the parents care for their chicks. They're actually very good parents.

Just make sure that they have enough food, high protein food and when the chicks are hatched make sure you have food for baby birds, easily digested. Most pet stores will carry specialty food for babies. :)
    boris2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2010, 09:57 AM
    Hen has now laid five eggs and is sitting on them.we are not confident they will all hatch but watch this space .thanks for the help
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 10:45 AM

Hey no problem! I know my advice probably wasn't much help, and it was kind of off the wall, and now I feel like a criminal... but Good Luck!
    Oh you Alty wanted me to ask if you could post some pic's of the babies when they are born?? :D
    Pets Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Hey no problem! I know my advice probably wasn't much help, and it was kind of off the wall, and now I feel like a criminal... but Good Luck!!
    Oh ya Alty wanted me to ask if you could post some pic's of the babies when they are born??? :D
    LOL, I didn't ask that. Naughty girl. ;)

We would love pictures though, after they have feathers, before they're just a bit gross looking. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My Budgie is dying. [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 6 years old female budgie that I really love,and five days ago we found out she had a tumor around her intestine.. We went to the vet for help but the doctor said he can't do anything and didn't give me any advice.It's been almost a week and she has problem breathing and eating.She is...

Budgie nesting box [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I have an aviary and I have some questions. 1/ does the nesting box have to be hang up, or can it just be put on top of anything? 2/ how long till my birds get used to the new avairy? Thanks and best regards, Wagdi

Budgie not growing [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I was just wondering if anone could tell me how big my baby budgie should be? I have two budgies and the younger one doesn't seem to be growing. When I got him his beak was completely black (which I know means he was very young) but I have had him for about three months now and he is still...

Nesting If Function [ 1 Answers ]

I have a formula that I am using in Excel 2007 to indicate whether a person was contacted (Column V) and the date on which they were contacted (Column W). I do not want it to overwrite an existing date nor do I want it to change every date to the Today() date in previously entered cells. My current...

View more questions Search