Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bredin01 Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2010, 09:31 PM
    Roofing
    I was in the middle of the big snow storm in Pittsburgh. I have about 10-12 inches of snow on my roof with about 1-2" of ice under that. I also have gutters full of overflowing ice. Is it advisable to hire someone to get the snow and ice off the roof and out of the gutters? If so, should it be a roofer?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 12, 2010, 04:42 PM

Stay off the roof, buy a long handled shovel (roof rake) made to remove ice from Home Depot. Don't bother the ice. Next season add more insulation and air vents to the attic, you have an issue in that attic. http://www.roofrake.com/

Feb 12, 2010, 08:54 PM
    That won't do me any good. I have a 2 story house. That rake won't cut it. There are roofers advertising to help get the ice and snow off. Why would I NOT want to bother the ice? I'm concerned about water damming, back-leaking and gutters falling. If I have a problem in my attic than so do 99% of my neighbors because they all have the same issue...
    dynocompe Posts: 331, Reputation: 56

Feb 12, 2010, 09:10 PM

Bredin, is what is causing the ice on your roof, is because your house is not properly sealed with vapour barrier/insulation. So the heat is escaping from your house, and heat rises, and its going out your attic. Your attic gets warm, melts the snow on your roof and forms ice!

To fix this problem. Make sure you have proper ventilation in your attic. And that you are properly insulated.
    And your right 99 percent of your neighbohrs are losing heat out there roof as well. If that hot hair in your attic can't escape, it melts the snow on your roof causing ice.

Feb 12, 2010, 09:15 PM
    I have been renovating my house for the past two years here, I live in canada and I have about 6 inches of ice on my roof right now. Its only in one area, where the room is not insulated right now. I have a brand new roof on my house with a roll of weather shield all around the bottom of the roof. Last winter I had the ice problem as well due to the same room, and it never leaked in spring at all.
    But I would be concerned as well as that ice melting on your roof and leaking inside your house. Also if your losing this much heat from your house into your attic, your attic can form condensation, and you will have ice right in your attic! Come spring time, that will melt, and ruin your drywall ceilings

Feb 14, 2010, 11:04 AM

So, dynocompe, should I have someone remove the ice and snow now then to avoid issues when the melt occurs? I still don't understand why the other guy said to leave the ice alone.

Feb 14, 2010, 12:37 PM

If you have a lot of ice build up, the ice should be removed. This is why, once the snow/ice starts to melt, if you have a big enough ice dam at the edge of your roof/gutters, the water will not go down but instead the puddle of water starts to go up under your shingles and seems through your roof. I think you would have to have quite a bit of ice for it to happen.
    If you go to that website link ballengerb1 gave you, they also sell a product called roofmelt. Basically the same type of idea for sidewalk melt. The idea you want to obtain with the ice melt, is to melt a clear open path underneath, so when the ice/snow starts to melt , it has a nice open path to flow down the roof. The main area of concern is the very edge of the roof, because that is the lowest part of the roof, and water always levels out. So if that part of the ice is higher then your next shingle , the water will go up underneath the shingles.
    If you have a metal roof, do not use ice melt.
    I am not sure how the contractor would get rid of your ice, what technique he uses. But I would definitely not want anyone on my roof with a ice pick haha. Only way I would want someone getting off my ice from my roof, is ice melt tablets, or some kind of heat tape/wire. I know they make those as well.
    I would definitely take a peak in your attic and check for frost/ice build up inside. If you see some, get rid of it before she melts and causes some serious damage.
    Hope this all makes sense.
    Where you in the house last spring? Did you have ice build up last winter?

Feb 14, 2010, 03:44 PM

No ice build up last winter. This was an exceptional storm for us. If I send you photos of the situation would that help?
    carpenter-t Posts: 88, Reputation: 19

Feb 14, 2010, 07:11 PM

Ice dams can be caused by a number of things.besides the above,warmer weather during the day with clogged gutters then refreezing at night or colder day.you can have a contractor,smash the ice with a hammer not the claw side.or you can do it you self if your comfortable.this is a common practice in new england.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2010, 07:18 PM

You can post photos directly using Go Advanced/Manage attachments.

Feb 14, 2010, 09:19 PM

Well I live in canada, and when shingles are frozen, they are actually quite brittle. I have over 6 inches of ice on my shingles, and I definitely would not want to smash my new shingles with no hammer, maybe its just me, but I am very particular. I would be melting it off.
    I would like to see your pictures. I pmed you my email.

Are you saying your roof normally doesn't get snow on it? If you only have 1-2 inches of ice, I think if you remove the snow on your roof you should not have to worry about the ice. It will melt fast when the snow is gone.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 14, 2010, 09:35 PM

The rake I gave you Garelick Roof Rake Roof Snow Removal Tool is 21' and can be extended to 31' enough for your 2 story house. I said to leave the ice alone because you will do more damage to the roof than good by trying to remove the ice. You could try to melt the ice with salt or sodium cloride but going on a 2 story ladder in the middle of the winter is a very dangerous proposition. I said you have some problems in your attic and I stand by the comment even if 100% of your neighbors have the same issue. Ice dams form because of a combination of factors that allowed your attic to be above freezing. The most common factors are not enough insulation and/or poor venting of the attic.
    carpenter-t Posts: 88, Reputation: 19

Feb 16, 2010, 12:44 PM

I understand that shingles are brittle when their cold but I'm not trying to lift them.I have broke up hundreds of ice dams over the years and never broke a tab.if water is backing up and leaking through the ceiling people they don't want to wait for ice melt to work,expectally if its 3,6,or more inches thick.

Feb 16, 2010, 01:00 PM

Yes carpenter of course if its leaking you have to act quickly, but I didn't get from his post that he has water leaking into his house already.

Ice melt acts pretty fast, espicially if its warmer than -20 Celsius.
    In a few hours it will be through the ice.
    Breaking ice with a hammer, the ice usually will just break apart in chunks, and come off pretty clean.
    Its just something I don't see the need to do(if you are not already being leaked on in your house)
    Since ice melt melts it away without stepping on ladder or your roof for that matter.
    I agree with you 100 percent, if your house is leaking water inside, break that ice away as fast as possible to let the water flow!

Best thing to do is get rid of this probably so it doesn't happen again! If its just from the sun melting snow during the day, then freezing at night causing some ice. There shouldn't be enough ice to worry about. The next day the sun will melt the ice anyway because it will beminimal.
    The biggest reason you get ice is from my earlier post.
    If you do have this problem, keep your roof free of snow at all times. And get your attic well ventilated, and your house properly sealed and insulated
    10 inches of snow on your roof is a lot of weight anyway. You remember shoveling that ten inches of snow? Pretty heavy! Imagine all that weight on your roof.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2010, 01:38 PM

I lived and roofed in Pittsburgh in the 80's,we had the exact situation back then, almost all the houses in Dormont,where we were located,were in this exact situation.

Some we tried to clear the snow melt and/or ice from ,but had limited success.. remember,homeowners insurance might help if there is damages due to this situation.. we had to encourage many customers to contact their insurance companies and see what their coverage covered,the damage was that widespread.

I still have contacts there and if you want a reputable contractor to have a look,I can get him in contact with you.

Feb 16, 2010, 02:19 PM

A lot of older homes around here only have wood chips as there insulation! Lol So come christmas time, they don't even have to buy the hanging icesicle lights, just a straight string, ohh so pretty when it reflects on the hanging ice

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Roofing prices [ 2 Answers ]

How much does it cost to install and remove 1 square feet of shingle in toronto??

Roofing [ 2 Answers ]

I am building a 24x30 cabin,the roof will lay on the 30 ft side,and there will be a loft,the loft I want to have clearance of a least 7 ft,I want to use 2x6x20 for the roof,but I need to know what angle should I cut the 2x6x20 to get this pitch??

Roofing ! [ 3 Answers ]

Which is a better way to go roof shingles or a metal roof . And which is more durable and lasting ?:)

IB Roofing (pvc) vs. CertianTeed Roofing [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons between these two roofing materials. I am in charge of having a roof replaced for our city council. We have had several contractors come in and give us estimates and its down between these two. Both are at the same cost. This is going on a building with a flat...

Roofing how to? [ 2 Answers ]

We measured a roof but we don't understand how to find the number squares we need to lay the roof or the number of bundles of shingles. We know 10x10 is a square but after measuring how many square is the problem. The roof measures like this; 125 foot long and 5 foot 3inches wide, the dormer is...

View more questions Search