Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cgwrestler09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2010, 08:47 PM
    1.5 standard deviations within the mean
    All my professor gave me was what proportion of measurements from a normal distribution falls within 1.5 standard deviations of the mean. No mean value was given and I do not understand how to solve the question. He goes on to ask the same thing only for is more than 1.5 above the mean, is more than 1.5 below the mean, and is between 1.5 and 1.8 above the mean. I am very frustrated
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2010, 01:36 PM

This is a question about Chebychev's Theorem.

The portion of the data set lying within k standard deviations (k>1) of the mean is at least

Just plug in k=1.5.
    elscarta Posts: 118, Reputation: 20

Feb 14, 2010, 07:24 AM
    Actually this question is about the Normal Distribution function, not about Chebychev's Theorem! You need to have a calculator capable of calculating Normal Distribution values or a Table which lists Normal Distribution values.

The reason that you were not given the mean (and by the way nor were you given the standard deviation) is because any Normal Distribution can be standardized to distribution with a mean of zero and a standard deviation of one.

Given that Z is the Standardized Normal Distribution function then the questions become:

P(-1.5 <Z<1.5), P(Z>1.5), P(Z<-1.5) and P(1.5<Z<1.8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_normal_table gives a table of values for P(Z<z)

Since the Normal Distribution is symmetrical the following property is true.

Property 1: P(Z<-z) = P(Z>z)

Also since the Normal Distribution is a probability density function the following also hold true.
    Property 2: P(Z<∞) = 1
    Property 3: P(Z>z) = 1 – P(Z<z)
    Property 4: P(a<Z<b) = P(Z<b) – P(Z<a)

So P(-1.5 <Z<1.5)
    = P(Z<1.5) – P(Z<-1.5) (Property 4)
    = P(Z<1.5) – P(Z>1.5) (Property 1)
    = P(Z<1.5) – (1 – P(Z<1.5)) (Property 3)
    = P(Z<1.5) – 1 + P(Z<1.5)
    = 2 x P(Z<1.5) – 1
    = 2 x 0.9332 -1 (value from table)
    = 0.8664

You should be able to do the remainder of the questions.
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2010, 07:59 AM

Yeah, I reckon you're correct about that. I thought Chebyshev's theorem would have been close enough for this though. Doing the z-score is certainly better. The way you showed, all one has to do is look them up in the z-table. Much easier than fooling with Chebyshev's theorem and more accurate. After all, it says 'at least'.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Standard of care vs standard of practice [ 3 Answers ]

In terms of medicine, what is the difference between the standard of care and the standard of practice?

Standard Deduction for L1-B ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I went to US between jan 19th 2008 and may 17th 2008 - four months. My first visit to US. Visa - L1-B Went to work at client location for indian company. Got my W2. Now decided to file 1040NR-EZ and filled it. Right now, in Itemized deductions is filled in only my State tax... which...

What standard score represents 1.5 and 2 standard deviations below mean? [ 1 Answers ]

What standard score represents 1.5 and 2 standard deviations below mean?

Mean and Standard Deviations [ 1 Answers ]

Two Questions! 1. Stephan is really happy about his mark in research because he feels that he probably got the highest mark of the class. What can you say to Stephan, knowing that his score is 80 % the mean was 84 and the standard deviation was 2. Please explain the proportion or percentage of...

F1->H1. Standard deduction? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Tax experts, I'm an indian student on OPT till otober and then converted to H1. Single, no dependents. Can some one clarify my assumptions. I can fill 1040NR EZ form as non resident? I don't have to file dual status tax? Can I use the standard deduction (5150) under Indian...

View more questions Search