Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Melissathewise Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2010, 09:55 AM
    Doctor violation of HIPAA law
    Dr.A. access' Dr. B's patient medical charts(there has never been a reason/need for them to share patient medical info), embellishing the charts with false information and sends the patient files along with an anonymous complaint to the state medical board. Is this a HIPAA violation? How does Dr. B. prove legally it was Dr. A who accessed his patient files? The hospital does not want to become involved and refuses to help. Thanks.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2010, 10:58 AM

How did the one doctor have access to the other doctor's patient files and why would he send the patient's files along to the state's medical board? It would be almost impossible for another doctor to have access to another doctor's patient records unless this was done in the hospital. Then the hospital would be responsible for the breach.

Why would one doctor wish to discredit another doctor?

This almost sounds like a homework question to me.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 11, 2010, 11:52 AM

This doesn't belong in the "criminal law" section. A volation of the HIPAA privacy rules is not a crime.
    Melissathewise Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2010, 12:33 PM
    Yes, this occurred at a hospital where doctors/residents in this particular area all have access to each others files. At times the doctors are on call for each other, however, Dr. A has never taken call for or seen any of Dr. B's patients.

You asked why Dr. A. would send Dr. B's altered patient files (patient files that were not even his patients were sent also) to the state's medical board and why would one doctor want to discredit another doctor? Perhaps professional jealousy? Perhaps an attempt to get rid of Dr. B so Dr. A can climb the hospital's professional ladder faster? I do not know. Through my research though, I have found these types of things happen between doctors more than the general public knows. I do know though, the hospital is very uncooperative.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2010, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Melissathewise View Post
    Dr.A. access' Dr. B's patient medical charts(there has never been a reason/need for them to share patient medical info), embellishing the charts with false information and sends the patient files along with an anonymous complaint to the state medical board. Is this a HIPAA violation? How does Dr. B. prove legally it was Dr. A who accessed his patient files? The hospital does not want to become involved and refuses to help. Thanks.
    I'm curious as to how the charts were "embellished with false information." What complaint was filed? What was added to or omitted from the files? Were the original files damaged/destroyed/replaced?

I have to assume that there is absolutely no proof of this as you're asking how Dr. B would go about proving this. The short answer is: he can't. Unless he can get Dr. A to admit to doing this or can find out who submitted the complaint, there's no proof that Dr. A had any involvement in the first place.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2010, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Melissathewise View Post
    Yes, this occurred at a hospital where doctors/residents in this particular area all have access to each others files. At times the doctors are on call for each other, however, Dr. A has never taken call for or seen any of Dr. B's patients.

You asked why Dr. A. would send Dr. B's altered patient files (patient files that were not even his patients were sent also) to the state's medical board and why would one doctor want to discredit another doctor? Perhaps professional jealousy? Perhaps an attempt to get rid of Dr. B so Dr. A can climb the hospital's professional ladder faster? I do not know. Through my research though, I have found these types of things happen between doctors more than the general public knows. I do know though, the hospital is very uncooperative.
    If I were the hospital, I'd be uncooperative too. They're not at fault for doing their job of keep patient files.

Honestly, I don't see where the problem is. If the complaint was made anonymously, then there's nobody who can testify against Dr. B which usually means this will go away.

If I can ask, who are you in this situation? Dr. A, Dr. B or the patient?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 11, 2010, 01:03 PM

Actually no it is not NIPAA violation, it may be fruad and violation of doctors ethics and could cuase doctor to lose their license or be warned by AMA.

But they will have to prove the doctor did it. And that the info was false.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa law violation [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and mother in law went to cvs and ingles pharmacy and without my consent or knowlage were able to get print outs of all my medications for the last year is this not a clear violation of my privacy and the hipaa laws and what can i do do i sue the pharmacys or my husband and mother in law...

Is emailing a doctor a HIPAA violation? [ 1 Answers ]

I emailed my doctor regarding a health issue. I found out later he was out for a period and contacted his associate through a nurse. Today, the doctor returned and read my email. I was contacted by a nurse that said that I cannot email the doctor because it IS a HiPPA violation. She said it was not...

Hipaa Violation [ 14 Answers ]

I recently worked in a skin treatment center for a number of years. I am going out on my own to provide treatments. Due to the need for my clients to contact me about their conditions after treatments, I currently have a list of the names and phone numbers of clients that I have seen. Is it a...

Hipaa law violation [ 2 Answers ]

This has to do with a divorce case: wife and husband had to complete drug tests in regards to child custody and parenting time. Wife tested negative and husband tested positive. Wife proceeded to email drug test results of husband to business belonging to Husband's father... including his...

Hipaa Violations by a Doctor [ 7 Answers ]

If a person fell at a restaurant and was injured, sought medical treatment. The doctor told the owner of the restaurant that the person's injuries was exaserbated by his weight. Is this OK?

View more questions Search