Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bluefairy_nebul Posts: 163, Reputation: 18

Feb 11, 2010, 03:10 AM
    How can I be less talkative
    I talk too much... sometimes I speak without thinking what I'm talking about. When I talk with my friends or colleagues I can't decide what to say and what to hide... sometimes I feel so bad... how can I be a less talkative person?
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2010, 03:17 AM

When you are with other people,
    Just listen to what tey have to say.
    Give them your full attention and when they ask you for your opinion,
    Try and express yourself in a few words.Give yourself a lot of chance
    To weigh what you say before your
    Utter any response.
    PROVERB :- Look before you leap.
    PROVERB :- Think before you speak.

Feb 11, 2010, 03:56 AM

Thanks a lot.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Feb 11, 2010, 06:28 AM

If you are realizing that you are talking too much, and revealing too much, anybody in a conversation with you is realizing that too.

When you replay the conversation and clearly see that you have gone too far, realize the compulsion to 'take over' will quickly turn into avoidance by others.

Try to listen, and not talk, until you are asked a direct question. If you need to comment at all, think of what you are going to say, before the words come out as Rolcam said. If the conversation has moved forward, then the subject is closed. Wait for another opportunity.

It may be that you are quite different with one to one conversations, as opposed to conversations in groups.

It will take practise and confidence to know when to speak up, and when to really listen, and determine if you have anything to contribute to the conversation. More than a sentence is probably too much, unless somebody has asked for your opinion on a specific topic.

Feb 11, 2010, 07:05 AM

Thanks jake, I'll start it from today. I got to do it...
    accraad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2011, 05:59 PM
    When you are speaking just try to listen
    Think about something before you say it
    Be nice
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2011, 11:14 AM

Far easier to focus on proactive listening than on trying to be quiet - really work on not spending the time the other person is speaking as your time to think of what to say next - it's not a race - really give them your full attention.

Also, if you talk about yourself too much it's probably because you think too much about yourself -broaden your thoughts by reading, seeing more movies, paying attention to news, pursuing active interests, going new places - when you broaden your experiences you will have alternative things to talk about that are not so personal.

I realized this after I divorced and brought my ex husband up way too much. I made a point not to talk about him any more and would instead bring up my volunteer work, a personal goal to hike every trail in the county where I live, or just to learn more about the other person. Most people have something they love to talk about so I will follow up and learn more about that interest from them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I be more talkative and open? [ 9 Answers ]

Well I'm usually a really shy person,I mean most people at my school have never heard me talk. But when I'm with my friends you just about can't get me to shut up. And this year I'm starting tech school and when me and my dad went down to check it out I was suppose to be asking as many questions as...

How can I be more talkative and less shy? [ 28 Answers ]

Well, I'm 20 yo guy and I never had a relationship of any kind with any girl, when I say any kind I mean *ANY*, I don't know how's the feeling of a kiss. I know how weird is to be 20 and never ever kissed a girl... but I like girls and I do feel that "butterflys in my stomache" feeling for a...

I'm not talkative around him, [ 5 Answers ]

Okay well there's this guy I was with him for like 3 weeks, Yes I know that's a little bit , But I brokeup with him because we would hangout everyday but Most of the time we were quiet:( we were not talkative & I'm very shy with him. . I still like him and he still likes me What should I...

My Son, 12 yo, is too talkative, how to guide him ? [ 2 Answers ]

When watching TV programs, he likes to talk about the story to the family members, as if they are not watching the program... We have to ask him to shut up his mouth sometimes. How to guide him in order to stop this bad habit ? What occupation is most suitable for him in the future ?

View more questions Search