Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmorris Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2010, 05:08 PM
    Why my hot water heater will not keep warm water
    I have a gas water heater and it has work great up till a few days ago. It will start of in the shower like the typical hot water, cold then hot. The hot water will give little shots of cold water while in the shower. Then it will go cold, turn it hotter and it get back hot then it goes cold again. I was wondering if I need a new heater or is there a part I need to replace?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 9, 2010, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    I have a gas water heater and it has work great up till a few days ago. It will start of in the shower like the typical hot water, cold then hot. The hot water will give little shots of cold water while in the shower. Then it will go cold, turn it hotter and it get back hot then it goes cold again. I was wondering if I need a new heater or is there a part I need to replace?
    You have just described a broken dip tube (see image)You have a plastic dip tube in your water heater that's gone bad. The dip tube is a white plastic tube that sets right below the cold water inlet and directs the cold water to the bottom of the tank to be heated and raise to the top. Tell your plumber to bring along a new dip tube when he comes. The whole job shouldn't take him over a hour. **OR** you could remove the cold water supply and replace it yourself.
    Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Feb 9, 2010, 05:49 PM
    Thanks I will get right on that. Again thanks a million
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2010, 06:08 PM

Can you tell us how old is you water heater, and also open the link below wait for a few seconds and you will see how the dip tube works as Tom tom suggested, good luck.

John

How a water heater dip tube works and what it looks like.

Feb 9, 2010, 07:49 PM
    The house is right about 10 yrs old, and it was put in the house when it was built. So I was thinking it is probably the water heater itself being that old. I have tried to find a dip tube at home depo and Lowe's but I am not finding anything. Is it something that you have to get at a plumbing store?
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 9, 2010, 08:04 PM

G to a Plumbing Supply House and ask for a Dip Tube in the heater size.
    Good luck, Tom

Feb 9, 2010, 08:09 PM
    Thanks, Will the dip tube make the water taste funny? I have a rubber taste coming from my frig and my sink
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 9, 2010, 08:28 PM

, Will the dip tube make the water taste funny?
    No! You're water will taste the same.
    The dip tube's made of plastic.
    Good luck, Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 9, 2010, 08:57 PM

Do you have a good supply of hot water in all the other fixtures in the home? Is the only fixture affected the shower fuacet? IF so, it may not be a water heater problem at all. It may be a shower valve(cartridge) problem. What type of shower valve do you have. Lets narrow this down a bit before we start replacing parts.
    If all fixtures in the house act the same, then the above advice is most likely correct(dip tube in water heater). Let us know and we will try to help out. Lee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

I have very low hot water pressure from my hot water heafrom an electric water heater [ 0 Answers ]

I have very low water pressure from my hot water heater. I can't find anything wrong.. any ideas?

No hot water in shower and water heater affects both cold and hot water flow [ 1 Answers ]

1. No hot water coming from shower even though there is hot water coming from face basin in same bathroom and throughout the house( moen plumbing) 2. when water heater valve to house is turned off the cold water and hot water from shower does not flow, yet in other faucets throughout the house...

Luke warm temp from gas hot water heater [ 13 Answers ]

About 6 days ago, we suddenly only had luke warm water from all our hot water faucets. I called the hot water heater help line and they sent me a new thermostat. I had a friend (who is a pro) install the thermostat, and still no hot water. I can see the pilot is lit. I can hear a constant "roar"...

View more questions Search