Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ras100 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2006, 02:36 PM
    Sliding Glass Door is leaking
    We have a sliding glass door that leaks when it rains heavily. Our house is 18 years old and the door leads out to a wooden deck. The deck is about one inch below the door frame. It is a good quality wooden door manufactured by Peachtree. This has caused some damage to our hardwood flooring near the door. What are my options for repair. I can't afford to replace the door at this point. Thanks for any suggestions.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2006, 08:33 PM
    Where is the water coming in?

Typically the "weak point" is above the patio door, where it should be caulked well, and even have j-channel if you have siding.

Also, if you have siding - and you've got a problem with your gutters, water could be getting behind the siding.

If you think it's coming in from the top, check it out up there real well. If it's not coming from the top, let us know where.
    mwilliams Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2006, 09:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ras100
    We have a sliding glass door that leaks when it rains heavily. Our house is 18 years old and the door leads out to a wooden deck. The deck is about one inch below the the door frame. It is a good quality wooden door manufactured by Peachtree. This has caused some damage to our hardwood flooring near the door. What are my options for repair. I can't afford to replace the door at this point. Thanks for any suggestions.
    I currently have the same problem. Water is coming from under bottom jam where the door slides. Make sure you have holes in the bottom jam to allow water to exit out the rear of the house. Also make sure they are not clogged. Yo also have to make sure you have a good bead of caulk between the foundation and the bottom of the door. This keeps water from coming back into the house underneath the bottom jam.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lubricate Sliding Glass Door [ 6 Answers ]

Our sliding glass door to the backyard has become more difficult to open and I'm wondering what can be done, if some type of lubricant is supposed to be used or does it need some repair to the metal track or the door itself. Any suggestions/resources are appreciated.

Sliding glass door problem [ 6 Answers ]

I just installed a laminate floor in a kitchen on top of an inch and one half sub floor. The bottom of our Andersen vinyl clad sliding glass door barely clears the floor and this without any threshold. The door wheels are set at their highest position and the top of the door rubs against...

Removing sliding door from fiberglass shower [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We are in the process of having a new home built and there is a Lasco (fiberglass) walk in shower in the bathroom. We had told the builder that we did not want a sliding door on the shower but wanted a door that swings open (without a header on top since my husband is 6'3 and no tracks...

Re-route vent below window to install sliding glass door [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install a sliding glass door off the back of my house. It would be best to put it where I currently have a window. Only one problem, there is a vent centered directly below the window. Correct me if I am wrong, I have two options 1.) Move the vent off to the side of the sliding...

View more questions Search