Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Donald Randall Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2010, 01:06 PM
    Is a water supply shut-off required in a residential home in South Carolina?
    Our builder in South Carolina installed the water supply shut-off in a recessed pit in our lawn that must be turned off with a city-type water tool. There is no main water shut-off inside our homes... is this legal according to IPC? Also all of my other homes had overflows in all the sinks but there are none used here... is this legal according to IPC?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2010, 01:49 PM

Your home obviously had to be permitted and inspected so it must be legal there for the shut off to be located in the ground. If you wish to add a shut off inside your home go right ahead and have a plumber do it.

As for the drain holes in the sinks - some sinks nowadays are made with no drain holes. It's usually the cheaper models that have no drain holes. If you want drain holes change out the sinks for new sinks that do have the drain holes.

Both situations are obviously permitted or the building inspectors would have flunked the shut off valve and the no drain holes in the sinks.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 10, 2010, 12:49 AM

Since I work over 20 years under UPC, I am not sure about IPC. But, I cannot imagine house w/o main shut off valve at the house. Where will you turn water off if you want to replace washer in shower valve ? Or if you have pressure leak ? Or in case of an emergency ? Here, shut off valves are required by Code. Some Cities in my area, like City of Santa Monica, will fine you $500.00 if they catch you turning water off in access box at the meter. I would suggest that you install one ASAP. No matter what plumber will charge you - it will be lot cheaper than dealing with possible water damage to your house caused by absence of such a valve...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet water supply won't shut off. [ 7 Answers ]

OK... so my problem started SEVERAL months ago. First, the valve that controls the fill line in the tank stopped functioning and my tank would continually overflow and the water would get to where it would leak through the flusher handle hole of the tank onto the floor. This part was a...

Nude beaches- North Carolina or South Carolina? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! I'm looking for a nude beach near myrtle beach but I'm not having any luck. Does anyone know where one is? Thank you blusia

Leaking washing machine water supply shut off valve [ 8 Answers ]

How do you repair a water supply valve that is leaking. It is the valve that connects the water supply to my washing machine. The leak occurs when I shift the lever from off to on and vice versa.

Can I shut off water supply to leaking hot water tank? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I shut off water supply to leaking hot water tank?

Toilet water supply won't completely shut off [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am replacing the innards of my toilet tank (flush valve, etc.). I disconnected the water supply line and can't get it to shut off completely. There is a constant trickle to the point that I have shut off the main supply. I don't know how long the repair will take and I would like...

View more questions Search