Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnmylove0517 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2010, 10:05 PM
    My husband killed himself by shotgun in may 09, was he cheating?
    My husband killed himself in the early morning of May 2. 2009. He had gone to his friends the night before and called to say hi and what he was doing. He apparently got an upsetting phone call and several text messages that set this in motion. His family is blaming me, but I didn't call him. Could he have been cheating? Why would he shoot himself over that?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 8, 2010, 10:06 PM
    I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine the amount of pain and anguish you are feeling. Unfortunately, these questions will go unanswered. He may or may not have been cheating, we don't know.

How was your relationship toward the end?
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2010, 07:00 AM

I am sorry for your loss but there is no real way to know unless you can get his cell phone records which I very much doubt at this time.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2010, 03:10 PM
    You can't know what was in his head when he took his own life. Sadly he's the only one that knows why he did what he did.

People make a choice when they take their own lives. Unfortunately families are left behind to deal with that choice and all the questions that remain unanswered.

Regardless of what the circumstances were, ultimately your husband made up his own mind about what he wanted to do.

It's very unfair for his family to blame you because no-one can, in the end, control what other people do.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2010, 11:54 AM

It's like the old saying... A permanent solution to a temporary problem.

You can't continue to blame yourself or keep beating yourself up for the actions of another person. We cannot control another person's actions.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 11, 2010, 12:51 PM

People who kill thierself are not thinking logically, so it may be no one thing that caused it.

So no I doubt he was cheating, most likely a lot of problems all mounting together.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2010, 12:58 PM

I agree with all the above posts,just to add,his family perhaps need a 'scapegoat' someone to blame,but of course there is no to blame as he took his own life.

One of the worst thoughts after a suicide is 'how did I not know something was wrong' 'why could they not tell me' they are natural thoughts,and hopefully in time they can accept the only your husband can give them the answers they need.

You need to take care of you.

I just wondered if someone rang the number from the call or text.
    johnmylove0517 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2010, 07:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine the amount of pain and anguish you are feeling. Unfortunately, these questions will go unanswered. He may or may not have been cheating, we don't know.

How was your relationship toward the end?
    Our relationship was real strong and loving, however he had a friend (male) whom I had never met that had a lot of power over him. I don't know. He was my high school sweetheart and we are now in our 40's. I know he loved me, and I loved him.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 12, 2010, 08:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmylove0517 View Post
    our relationship was real strong and loving, however he had a friend (male) whom I had never met that had a lot of power over him. I don't know. He was my high school sweetheart and we are now in our 40's. I know he loved me, and I loved him.

And that is all you need to remember, that you and he loved each other. Too many people like to make up stories or gossip things they really don't know, or even blame the dead for things so that they will not feel as guilty for things they actually did,

Just remember the good, and live with that memory, I buried two wife's in the past and others all wanted to tell stories new or old, but in the end, the ones saying things are thoughtless fools, you remember what he was to you, then and what you felt for each other in your heart, and let that be the memory you keep
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2010, 10:38 AM

Sometimes anger is an easier emotion to deal with than grief - that's why his family is looking for someone to blame.

You most probably will never know what happened, why he took his life - but you do know it is NOT your fault, right?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Movie about a cheating husband, illegitimate child, mistress killed, [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I really hope someone can help. I'm trying to find a movie about a wife who discovers that her husband cheated only after he is hospitalized after he was seriously injured in either a car/plane crash (can't remember). His mistress was killed in the same accident. A few days after the...

Husband killed in car accident and already a boyfriend? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi I just wanted others thoughts on this. My sister was married to a man for 9 years and he was killed in a car accident in late June this year. YES this YEAR 2008 She has 1 child from him and an older one from a previous marriage. His headstone isn't even up yet and one of his coworkers has been...

View more questions Search