Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nopolene Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2010, 08:17 PM
    Dual residency
    I am a teacher. I entered the USA in August 2007 and I was exempted from income tax for two years. I changed status in August 2009 . Under the substantial presence test I am classified as a Resient alien for part of 2009 that is for the period beginning August 2009. I know that I have to file dual residency. The problem is I have two w2 forms and only one contains withholding taxes which is the one for August 2009- December 2009. The other was only has the fica and medcare taxes which were withdrawn. How should I file should I had both all income for both w2 and out it on the 1040 . Where should I put the fica and medcare should both w2 be combined in spite of the fact that they are frm two different employees in two different states .Or should I DO TWO DIFFERENT FORMS ONE AS A RESIDENT ALIEN AND THEOTHER AS NON RESIDENT. PLEASE EXPLAIN I MA SO CONFUSED.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 9, 2010, 02:45 AM

On J1 you are nonresident for two years that is 2007 and 2008. For 2009, your days are not exempt from residency, so you will file resident tax return and Form 8843.
    Report both W-2 incomes. Then report W-2 income for J1 exempt period with negative sign on line 21 of 1040. Write deduction under U.S. & -- tax treaty article...
    File paper return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Residency? [ 12 Answers ]

I'm wondering what is dual residency? I recently decided to rent an apartment in PA for my job assignment in New York but my home is in Maryland. I'm not sure if this will be considered a PT resident in PA or dual residency? Any feedback is helpful! Thank you!

View more questions Search