Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fyfer2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2010, 03:33 PM
    How are baby chicks colored for Easter?
    How are baby chickens colored for Easter? I remember a pink chick when I was small.
    Lj
    rosemcs Posts: 325, Reputation: 47

Feb 8, 2010, 06:43 PM

Usually, vegetable dye is injected into the egg before the chick hatches. Some people find this to be animal cruelty though. Years ago, they were sold at stores, but this is not practiced anymore.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2010, 07:27 PM

Yep, just vegetable or food coloring.
    It's completely harmless, they use the same thing to color dogs and cats fur.

I don't find the actual act of coloring them wrong but I do find it wrong that they are marketing these cute little chicks at children when they will grow up to be big noisy chickens.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 9, 2010, 08:00 AM

Yes my two year old has been asking for a green chicken since I took her to the fair last summer.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2010, 09:52 AM

I think that's horrible to change the chicks color of its downy baby feathers for Easter... Easter isn't suppose to be about mutli-colored chicks anyway... Leave Gods creatures they way they were intended to be!

Plus, I think they're equally as cute yellow! Which is what they're suppose to be!

If you want multi-colored chicks, go buy fake ones... They don't grow up and serve the same purpose!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 10, 2010, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Yes my two year old has been asking for a green chicken since I took her to the fair last summer.
    Why am I thinking Dr.Seuss and green eggs and ham? ;)

I think it's wrong to color them, but I don't think it hurts them.

My Uncle fell for the cute little Easter chicks a few years ago. He ended up buying five little yellow puff balls for his daughter and her kids. He brought them over in a box, no food, nothing.

My cousin didn't have a clue how to care for them, ended up doing a lot of research, had to run out the day after Easter to get supplies (because no stores were open Easter day).

The chicks grew up, one was male and loved to crow at 4 am every morning. Her neighbors complained. She lives in the suburbs. Shortly thereafter the county came to her house to inform her that it's illegal to have chickens on a residential property.

Another impulse buy gone wrong.

She ended up giving them to a lady that has a petting zoo. I hpe they didn't end up becoming a meal. :eek:
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 10, 2010, 12:39 PM

LOL 4am, OK no chickens in our future.
    I always wanted to have a hobbie farm, but I think I may leave out the roosters :P
    I remember my aunt has chicks, (lets not talk about what happened to them) but this was also the aunt who bred German Shepherds with my mother, one of the female dogs hurt her hip in the yard after her first litter, my aunt decided to not breed her again. Well I don't know if she went through some sort of mommy complex, but she took to those chicks like you wouldn't believe. Hmm now that I think about it maybe she just wanted to eat them?
    Anyway it was cute seeing her lay beside the old pool table and incubator (they hollowed out a pool table and put the heat lights on top and had them in their basement/rec room. She wouldn't let any of the other dogs come near it. When we would go down to look at the chicks, she would wedge her self between us and the table.
    That also happens to be my first experience with behaviour modification techniques.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sexing baby chicks [ 1 Answers ]

My son got some baby chicks for his birthday and we don't know how to tell the sex of them. Could some one please tell us how we can. Thank you

Chicks on vacation in Tibet? [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone help me figure out a movie I watched a while back when I was younger, I can't remember much of it but what I do know is it had something to do with these two female friends who went on vacation to tibet or something and one of them or maybe both of them somehow ended up being prisoners...

Chicks with scars [ 6 Answers ]

Do guys dig chicks with scars?

Easter Greetings [ 1 Answers ]

Happy Easter everyone.

Do guys stare at ugly chicks [ 37 Answers ]

JUst wondering... Do guys stare at ugly chicks too? And what would u guys consider is a so called ugly chick? Thank you guys, honest answers please:D

View more questions Search