Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raindown Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2010, 03:28 PM
    video card / processor overheating. Causing system shutdown.
    I have a problem with my laptop shutting down under anything but minimal processing stress. Video killed it really quick. So I downloaded SpeedFan to monitor the temps in my laptop and the temp for my processor is currently 64C and my video card is at 82C right now, and all I have open is Google Chrome! Could this be due to a bad connection somewhere? I recently had my laptop hinge replaced (factory recall), could the repairer have improperly reconnected some component? I don't know. Could the problem be viral? Please help. Thanks.
    gtalarico Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2010, 04:09 PM

Hello.

82C is acceptable (depending on the card, check the manufacture website for Max Recommended temperature), but it is on the "hot side". The cooler you keep your components the better.

One possibility, could be that all your air intakes (usually on the back, and or bottom) are clogged on the inside with dust or something else...
    Every time you set your laptop on a surface, it sucks all the dust and foreign particles in, as it pulls air to cool down its internal components.

Once a year, I open my laptop and clean it with an air compressor... I always remove a handful of dust, which would otherwise clog my "air intakes".
    It is possible to remove some of the dust with and air compressor without opening the laptop, but definitely not as efficient.
    Be careful with those canned air "compressors"... If you are not careful, sometimes they will blow a freezing liquid which WILL damage your computer. Test them out against the wall first, and NEVER turn the can upside down or on its side while pressing the trigger.

If the problem is not cause by dust, I would try using of those cooling pads... it could be that your video card always runs hot, and your vents are not powerful enough. The cooling pad would definitely help anyway.

Good luck.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Feb 20, 2010, 11:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by raindown View Post
    Could this be due to a bad connection somewhere?...could the repairer have improperly reconnected some component?
    82C seems high to me for a video temp if there is a working fan anywhere. Does the computer just turn off, lockup, or do an orderly shutdown?

Some things that come to mind:
    • Fan left unplugged.
    • Heatsink disturbed or not reapplied properly but don't know why removal would have been required for a hinge.
    • Something accidently left inside blocking airflow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Virus causing log in problems, need to get to system restore [ 1 Answers ]

I can't log on to my HP Compaq. The log on screen keeps cycling, acting as if it is in the log in process and then flashing and says "saving your settings" as if I have chosen to log out. I would like to get to system restore, but I can't any short cuts to system restore? (the same thing happens...

Is a duel core processor of 3gig equivalent in speed,or better than a 4gig processor [ 1 Answers ]

If a game asks for a 4.2gig processor is a dual core 3gig fast enough

95 civic cooling system overheating [ 1 Answers ]

I've had my 95 civic for about a year now. This winter it was over heating and I put a new thermostat in it and for awhile it stopped. Today I was driving to the movies when I noticed me engine running hot (3/4 the way to H) and my check engine light came on. The next street I turned down, put my...

What is the PCI-E Video Card equivalent to this AGP Video Card? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm in a turmoil to either upgrade my AGP Video Card to another AGP or a PCI-E. Most of you will say upgrade a motherboard that has a PCI-E slot, but that means upgrading everything else including memory, video card, MAYBE CPU - and that could mean a whole lot because I don't want to buy a cheap...

Processor and Graphic Card Comparison [ 4 Answers ]

I'm currently looking at 3 different laptops. However, I've been unable to find a good site with information comparing the 3 processors, or graphic cards I'm looking at. Processor -Pentium 4 w/ HT Tech 3.8 GhZ 800Mhz FSB 1MB Cache vs Pentium M 2.13Ghz 533Mhz FSB 2MB...

View more questions Search