Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmarigoni Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2010, 03:24 PM
    Removing thinset from tiles
    So I tiled my shower about a year ago, and I thought that I cleaned the tiles off pretty good after I grouted them, however, I look at it now, and I see that I missed a bunch. I am not sure if it is thinset or grout, but it is setup in the texture part of my tiles. I can scratch it off with a wire brush and water, but it is taking an extremely long time.. also, the wire brush keeps producing a black mess all over my tiles... is there a better way? You can see in the picture the texture on the tile I am taking about.. all the white stuff on there is thinset or grout.

mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Feb 9, 2010, 11:18 AM

It looks like grout by looking at the color.. thinset is usually grey unless for some reason you used white. I'm not sure about taking it out. Is it a floor tile you used on the wall?
    bmarigoni Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2010, 02:45 PM
    Yeah, I used white thinset too. I'm pretty sure it is grout.. I guess a bigger brush is in order.
    EMERIL LAGASSE Posts: 101, Reputation: 4

Feb 10, 2010, 06:47 AM
    Caution!!
    Try a small amount of muriatic acid with a brush and rinse well
    Use eye protection, gloves and well ventilated
    :)
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2010, 08:47 AM

Use a scrub brush instead of wire brush. After u finish, polish tile with dry rag.

Good luck

Chuck
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Feb 10, 2010, 10:40 AM

I agree it's grout. Do not use Muriatic Acid, you will be using a different acid, follow directions. I would normally recommend using Sulfamic Acid crystals, but not in this case since the install is not new. Try PHOSPHORIC ACID SUBSTITUTE- by Aqua Mix. Phosphoric Acid Substitute :: Professional Contractors :: Custom Building Products

You may need a "steel" brush, but not a regular wire brush, get a brass brush, so that it won't cause damage. Also use a Teflon sponge like the one you have in the kitchen.

See how that works, may require a couple attempts.

Jaz
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Feb 10, 2010, 07:00 PM

I cleaned grout off tiles by using white vinegar and a green scrubber. Takes a lot of elbow grease but it will come off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What kind of thinset or mortar do I need to install Slate tiles? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm wanting to install multi-color Slate in my basement and I'm not sure what adhesive or thinset to use. The floor are concrete of course. Also, do I need to seal it before I grout it so that the grout cleans up better? One more thing. Do I have to anchor the piece that goes down between the tile...

Removing tiles on bathroom wall [ 2 Answers ]

I noticed the other day that the tile on my bathroom wall is falling apart. It looks like that its on a plasterboard. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Removing Thinset from Concrete Floor Slab [ 2 Answers ]

I removed my Tile from a bathroom and the thiset under it will not come up off the concrete floor slab. I don't want to build up the floor much so putting a cement based leveler isn't an option except maybe to even it up a little bit. Anyone have any ideas of how to remove it? I've been chiseling...

Removing tiles [ 1 Answers ]

What is the easiest way to remove wall tiles without damaging the walls

Removing tiles from concrete [ 3 Answers ]

What kind of tools do I need to remove tiles from concrete slabs?:)

View more questions Search