Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IWANNAKNOW Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2010, 03:22 PM
    Am I Screwed In North Carolina ?
    I just moved to North Carolina from Georgia. I went to the DMV to get my license changed only to find out that I have to have liability insurance. My issue is that I do not own a vehicle, yet I must still have liability insurance!? Now I bet your wondering why I would want a drivers license when I do not own a car. Once or twice a year I would rent a handicap equipped van to take vacations & such in. Oh, I forgot to mention I am disabled. In Georgia I could rent a vehicle & then just purchase rental car insurance from the rental car agency when I rented the van. Now it seems the state of North Carolina is forcing me to maintain year-round insurance just to drive a vehicle 1 or 2 times a year. I can not afford to do this on my income(SSD). So, am I screwed? Seems to me the state of North Carolina should call the requirement "drivers insurance" as apposed to vehicle insurance. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your input.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2010, 03:26 PM

Have you inquired whether this is a requirement in North Carolina of any licensed driver or just you? They may have a law there that requires every driver to carry liability insurance. Or have you ever had any kind of accident or incident where you were required to have insurance but didn't?
    IWANNAKNOW Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2010, 04:15 PM

Apparently this is a requirement for all drivers in North Carolina. As far as my driving record goes, it's clean. Never been charged for no insurance. To my understanding in Georgia we insured the vehicle then specified on the policy who was allowed to drive the vehicle. But if you didn't own a vehicle in Georgia, it wouldn't keep you from obtaining or renewing your drivers license. At least it never kept me from renewing my drivers license before. It just seem that this type of law will keep the "less fortunate" from obtaining a drivers license.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2010, 04:17 PM

Yes, this is a requirement of any licensed driver in North Carolina. You must provide proof of liability insurance to obtain a driver's license.

Most of the larger companies offer what's called a "Non-owners" policy for people who don't own vehicles but need a license (say you're a truck driver but don't own a personal vehicle outside of work). This policy is often more expensive because it's more of a risk but unless there's someone willing to add you to their policy (a relative perhaps) then it's your only option.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 8, 2010, 06:35 PM

Yes, best to shop around for the insurance, have you called and got any prices

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How is wilmington North Carolina? [ 4 Answers ]

I just basically wanted to know how wilmington was.is it safe and pretty much a safe place to live. I no that everywhere can have it faults.but just a quick breaf about it in general would be helpful.or if you live there now.. let me know the area and how it is.thanks?

North Carolina v. Bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

I have just paid off a Chap. 13 bankruptcy. I now find that the county has been charging interest on the one year's property taxes included in the plan throughout the terms of the plan. The county tax collector's office tells me that this is allowed under North Carolina law. How does a state law...

Nude beaches- North Carolina or South Carolina? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! I'm looking for a nude beach near myrtle beach but I'm not having any luck. Does anyone know where one is? Thank you blusia

Moving to North Carolina [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I are considering moving to NC. We're looking for: affordable housing (200-300K), a small community (50,000 - 100,000 pop.) close to a larger city (we like city life but don't want to live right in it) and somewhat close to the water, say 2 hours. NC seems appealing because of the...

View more questions Search