Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keyser Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2006, 08:43 AM
    Holiday dinners
    I have relatives who frequently come to Thanksgiving + Xmas dinners each year.

The questions is: Is it good manners or etiquette to bring (as an invited guest) your own tupperware containers to a dinner with the "assumption" that you will be filling them up and taking them back to your home to have "leftovers" later in the week courtesy of the host(s)?

I know the way I was raised this is extremely tacky behavior.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2006, 08:47 AM
    I would find this offensive if I was the host. I, as the host, should have the decision whether to offer leftovers, and then to provide foil to wrap them up.

Although I would assume it is proper etiquette for a host to offer the leftovers, it isn't proper etiquette for the guests to assume that they will.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2006, 08:52 AM
    I'll agree with the answer above. The host should benefit from the leftovers since they went through the effort of buying the supplies and cooking the meal. The guest should bring the wine :) .
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2006, 08:53 AM
    Oh my now I find that extremely rude I'm afraid id be inclined to telling them where to stick there tubs. I don't know how some people can have so much gall.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Nov 23, 2006, 08:57 AM
    I agree, it is pretty thoughtless, however in my social circle a holiday is not the time to fuss over it... later, it can be a private discussion. Or for the far more courageous than I LOL, the host can simply thank the guest for the gift of more tupperware (god knows, we could always use more!) and then simple put it away for the duration of the celebration. That may take more than once to make the point though LOL since tacky is usually slow too.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 23, 2006, 09:16 AM
    I will agree this is not proper, unless this is some pot luck affair where everyone is bringing dishes,

You have basically three choices, don't invite them,

Invite them but tell not to bring dishes,

Forget it, since it appears this has been going on for some time now.

Change over and have diner at there house part of the holidays
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Nov 23, 2006, 10:03 AM
    I'm pretty easygoing, but I'd definitely have to agree with the above posts. :)
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2006, 01:13 AM
    I would call them up after the holiday was over and tell them that it was rude and if they ever tried that again, they would be invited back to my house.

The HOST buys the food, cooks it, THEY keep the leftovers.

Now, if they want to offer leftovers to the guests, that is their choice, but the guests should NOT assume they are getting any.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2006, 09:41 AM
    Yes, it is extremely tacky. Unless the host told you in advance to do that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting holiday gifts for persons of other religions [ 9 Answers ]

Okay I know I have made fun of them but I have An aunt, uncle, and three cousins who are Jehovas witnesses. I know they don't celebrate santa and all that stuff. Isn't there some way I can get something for them that won't offend or start a war?

Average holiday spending $ ? [ 2 Answers ]

Just read an article (actually 2) this morning that said the average amount spent on holiday gifts is $1,000. Fyi - both articles were referring to the 20 & 30 something age group. I don't think I spend nearly that much, but I'm going to review last year's spending to be sure that I didn't just...

Fav Holiday Destination [ 17 Answers ]

Ok all, Never started a thread like this and it has probably been done but just thought id ask. What is everyone's favourite holiday destination in the world. Ill start. Im from oz and it is long way to the travel anywhere but I've been lucky enough to do a bit. Mainly Europe and Asia.

View more questions Search