Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jayman4him Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2010, 09:36 AM
    #2 copper wire rated at 115 feet
    I want to energize a sub panel in my lower garage. I want to have a sub panel rated
    At somewhere between 70 and 100 amps. What size copper wire can I use to to do this in a romex style conductor ?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 8, 2010, 11:29 AM
    The end to end Voltage Drop can be no greater than 5% (Feeder Cable + Branch Circuit).

From the 2008 NEC code, T 310.16 you can use three #1 AWG copper conductors with a #4 copper ground conductor type TW insulation listed at 60C or Three #3 with a #4 ground listed conductors listed as 90C with insulation types of THHN/THHW.
    At the sub panel you connect the Black & Red to the Hot Connection Lugs. Green will go to ground and White or Gray goes to Neutral. DO NOT BOND Ground and Neutral together in the sub-panel.

Feb 8, 2010, 07:56 PM
    Thank you - donf -
    Just what I needed. Now I can get started.
    Thanks again.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2010, 06:56 AM
    Jay, let us know what kind of cable you can find in your area, before you run out and buy any.

TW is no longer popular, may not even be available.

THHN/THWN is often single conductor.

You should be looking for NM-B or SER cable, see attached product datasheets.

You mention #2 copper, but want something rated 70 -100 amps?

Pick one.

Keep in mind, and of the cables I offered must only be rated at the 60 Deg C column.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf XTEInterfaceServlet2.pdf (135.7 KB, 213 views)
  2. File Type: pdf XTEInterfaceServlet.pdf (238.3 KB, 248 views)

Feb 12, 2010, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Jay, let us know what kind of cable you can find in your area, before you run out and buy any.

Pick one.

Keep in mind, and of the cables I offered must only be rated at the 60 Deg C column.
    tkrussell - Thanks for your reply - Do you work for Southwire ? Do you have a phone number ( preferably 800 or 888 ) ? If I get the 4 wire conductor ( 1/1/1/3 ) copper, can I run this in a 1 1/4 PVC conduit -
    Or a bit overkill ? Thanks again -
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2010, 07:41 AM
    No I do not work for Southwire, or any manufacturer.

Find contact info here:
    Southwire

Do not pull feeder cable of any kind through long run of conduit.

You original mentioend Romex type cable, which I provided datasheets on.

If you want to run conduit, then you need to pull individual conductors with THHN/THWN insulation in a complete conduit system with proper fittings.

For 100 Amp, you can use #3 THHN/THWN copper.

Feb 12, 2010, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post

Pick one.

So - IF is can get this ( 1/1/1/3 ) copper, then just lay it up in the attic, through floor joists, etc.
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2010, 08:43 AM
    Should be able to lay in the attic, where there will not be any chance of physical damage, stuff stored on top ,or where someone would walk on it.

Keep it away from walkways, out near the edge of the attic.

This calbe would need a decent size hole through any wood framing members, use protective nail plates at those points, to protect the cable from nails/screws.

I would not drill holes through joists.

Feb 12, 2010, 09:58 AM
    Then, when I get to the lower basement and I need to go across floor joist -??
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2010, 10:18 AM
    Across, OK.

Through? I do not recommend.

Feb 12, 2010, 11:39 AM
    Earlier you said: " This cable would need a decent size hole thru any wood framing members, use protective nail plates at those points, to protect the cable from nails/screws. " I don't want the cable to hang below the basement side of the floor joist. Is a notch better than drilling a hole, etc. The path will be from upper garage up to attic, down a chase to the basement then past a few floor joist to the new sub panel..
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2010, 01:57 PM
    OK I was imagining going through vertical partitions.

If possible don't drill through floor joists. A few, not a big deal, but keep the hole at least 1.25 in away from the edge,and only drill through the outer thirds, not the center third, of the span.

Don't notch. It is allowed, but I don't like the look of it.Looks like the supporting strength was compromised.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the wire size for a 30 amp at 50 feet [ 1 Answers ]

What is the wire size for a 30 amp wire at 50 feet long

How to safely wire aluminum to copper wire [ 5 Answers ]

I am switching a non-programmable t-stat to a Honeywell 5-2day programmable one that is for baseboard, covectors and fan-forced heaters. The model number is RLV430A. I have a wall Cadet heater so it should be OK. Problem is when I opened the package the wiring on the t-stat is aluminum. ...

Attaching Copper wire to alum. Wire in fuse box. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a electric stove to hook up in my house that had a gas stove. The electric 50 amp receptacle is already in place from the previous owner. The existing stove “aluminum” wiring goes into the circuit breaker box, but the wiring is cut off inside the circuit breaker box and is too short to...

Running THHN wire above 8 feet. [ 3 Answers ]

I am wiring a barn/shop area and have run all wiring in EMT conduit except above 8 feet where I have run some ROMEX to lights. My question is: I need one extra wire for a 3-way switch traveler wire. Can I staple this along side of the ROMEX wire above 8' in the hi bay area, or does it have to be in...

Copper Wire to Silver Wire [ 2 Answers ]

I recently purchased a replacement flush ceiling fixture. The black and white wires coming from my electrical box in the ceiling are copper colored, the black and white wires in the new fixture have a silver colored wire. Is it OK to connect them?

View more questions Search