Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bucktownboy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2010, 04:59 PM
    Do I Still Have My 401K and, If So, How Do I Obtain It?
    I left job ten years ago forgot all about 401k. Do I still have it and how do I obtain it?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2010, 11:41 PM
    Hi, bucktownboy!

I've titled and moved your question that you had placed on the old, and now archived thread of someone else to a thread by itself so that it will be recognized as being your own question.

This place doesn't work the same way that a chat room does. New questions, that aren't in some way, an answer to the very first question at the top of the page need to be asked by starting a new thread.

Thanks!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 8, 2010, 10:16 AM

If the account had less than $5K in it when you left the old job they would have automatically distributed the money to you by sending you a check. If they didn't do that, and you never rolled the old 401(k) into either a new 401(k) at your new job or a rollover IRA, and if you have never taken distributions, then yes - the old 401(k) should still be there. You need to contact the 401(k) plan administrator - which is typically an institution like a bank, insurance company, or investment firm such as Vanguard or Fidelity - who was hired by your old employer to run the plan. They should be sending you statements of your acount's value at least quarterly, but I assume you have moved since leaving that old job and neglected to provide your new address. So what you should do now is find out who that administrator is, and then contact them. I suggest looking through your old financial records to see if you can find any old enrollment forms or quarterly statements that would have contact info. Or call the HR department at your old job and ask how to get in touch with the plan administrator.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Obtain passports [ 1 Answers ]

Can an ex-felon obain a passort to visit Alberta,Canada with 3 felonies in the U.S.

Trying to obtain my deposit [ 7 Answers ]

I initially gave a roommate 500.00 security deposit with the intent of moving into their home. For personal reasons, I had to change my mind and never moved into their home. I gave this person a check on December 01, 2008 for the 500.00 security deposit. I also gave him a check for 825.00 for the...

I would like to know how to obtain hips [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know how to develop hips. Are there any exercises to obtain hips?

View more questions Search