Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blondiechika05 Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Feb 7, 2010, 05:22 PM
    Student loan interest
    Thanks, got that. Another question for you, I have student loan interest accrued but have not actually made a payment as I'm on forbearance. Can I still claim the accrued interest?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 7, 2010, 05:50 PM
    Will leave that for a better tax expert, just knew the car question, I had asked the same one to my CPA earlier.
    Give it a couple days and if no other expert comes and follows up, ask the additional question, in a separate question, since it is not really the same as the original question
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 8, 2010, 12:45 PM

Bump
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2010, 11:04 AM
    Blondie:

It is 99.9% likely that you are a cash basis taxpayer, since you need permission from the IRS to be an accrual basis taxpayer.

That being the case, you CANNOT claim student interest that is accruing. You can only claim interest that you have actually PAID in the tax year in question.

Since your student loan is in forebearance, the interest is accruing, to be paid at a future date. Assuming the law on student loan interest does NOT change, you will deduct it when you begin to make payments.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student Loan Interest Deduction [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 student loans, but interest paid on both are under $600 for the year 2005, so I didn't get any 1098E forms. Do I need any evidence to show the interest I'm claiming for adjustment? Such as pay slips which shows the amount of interest paid? Thanks

Student loan interest expense [ 3 Answers ]

Tax Experts: I earned a masters degree from USA in Dec-2008. Currently, I am working in USA on H1B Visa since Oct-09. I had an education loan on my US masters degree from an Indian bank which I paid off in June 2009 during the OPT period. As I had an education loan from an Indian bank, I...

Student Loan Interest deduction [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Vinay Mandora. I came to US in September 2006 on F1 for studying MBA. I am working on OPT. I am going to file 1040NR-EZ for 2007. I want to know can interest on education loan taken from India be claimed as a deduction under student loan interest deduction? Waiting for early...

Student Loan Interest [ 1 Answers ]

I paid student loan interest in 2005 and 2006. Can I claim both years interest on this years tax return?

Student loan interest deductibility [ 1 Answers ]

In 2005, I was on F1 until Sept 30, and then my status was changed to H1B starting from Oct 1. CINTAX has determined that I had to use 1040NR-EZ to file my tax return. It said I was not eligible to claim student loan interest for my tax return since I was not in F1 visa status as of 31 Dec 2005....

View more questions Search