Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Feb 7, 2010, 06:41 PM
    Homemade cat food recipes
    I am going to be adopting a kitty soon. Since I am on a very limited income, I plan to make my own cat food. I was wondering if anyone had any recipes for homemade cat food that are reasonably priced and easy to make. Also, I need to be able to get all the ingredients at a grocery store, since I have no way to order things online.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2010, 06:51 PM

If you have a limited income, do you think now is the time to be adopting an animal?
    What if it gets sick and requires extensive treatment?

Anyway, from what I've seen, it's actually more expensive to make food for pets.
    Experts

Feb 7, 2010, 06:59 PM

She's a stray that's been hanging around work for several months. I think any home is better than nothing.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2010, 07:01 PM

You could always take her to a shelter?
    Not that what you are doing isn't awesome (because it is), but the technician in me worries about if something were to go wrong and she got sick. Are you going to get her spayed? Vaccinated?
    Experts

Feb 7, 2010, 07:30 PM

The shelter here isn't accepting anymore cats. They've been putting down the ones they have. The nearest no-kill shelter is almost an hour away.

She's going to be an indoor cat, so I shouldn't need to get her spayed. I will work on vaccinations as I'm able. Being an indoor cat, some of the vaccinations won't be absolutely needed, like rabies.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2010, 07:37 PM

By law, most areas require your animal to be vaccinated against rabies, indoor animal or not.

Not getting her spayed opens her up to things like pyometra which = expensive surgery.
    Experts

Feb 7, 2010, 07:39 PM

The county I'm in only requires rabies shots for dogs.

I will see about getting her spayed when I have the money. It's just not something I think needs to be done right away. She's not going to have any contact with other cats, so there's no chance of pregnancy.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2010, 11:49 PM

You've never lived with a non-spayed cat, have you? She needs spayed, just trust me on this. Though you may seek out some inexpensive programs in your area for this.

As for rabbies, they don't have to go outside to get it.

If you can get those basics done then I'm all for you keeping the cat. Even if the shelter were no-kill, I just don't see where a life couped up at a shelter is a better life than being with you in a home. But especially given that it's a kill shelter than isn't even taking more cats, so this cat gets killed now by them, or maybe you have to PTS later when you can't afford something. She gets a life in the meantime anyway. I know there are those who would argue that -- but a life in a nice home I think is better than not being given a chance at life at all, even if it means a short or shorter life.

But there is a line you cross when the life isn't worth it. Which is why I suggest at least some basics.

As for the food, I believe homemade very well could be more expensive yes. I know some people with a lot of cats and for them it can be cost effective, but I think for one cat it probably is not, though I don't know a lot about it. There's also initial outlays like a good electric grinder. I also don't know that you're going to be getting all the ingredients at a grocery store. For one, especially if you do raw, you really don't want the crap meat that can be at a grocery store. Plus there's supplements and such. Last time I looked, grocery stores didn't carry, oh, taurine.

I'll give you a link, but you might be better off just with a basic canned food than trying to make it. And take heed of the little update she added, which is the very thing that makes me leary of this. I always say the same thing: be committed to it, learn what you're doing and do it right, or don't do it at all. I'm rather a food fanatic and even I don't do it. (And the rest of the site is well worth a read.)
    makingcatfood

There's also the option of a cooked homemade diet, but I don't know where there's an appropriate recipe. They can be found, but I don't know how reliable they are - maybe they are, but I prefer a place I know and can trust.
    Experts

Feb 8, 2010, 12:02 AM

According to what I've found, taurine is found mainly in meat and seafood. Including fresh meat in the diet will provide the taurine needed, as long as it's not cooked over high heat for an extended period.
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2010, 12:48 AM

Given that answer, I would recommend that you don't use a homemade diet. What meat were you planned to buy?
    Experts

Feb 8, 2010, 12:59 AM

It depends on the recipes I find.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2010, 02:08 AM

When I made my own dog food it worked out nearly twice the price of just regular canned food :eek:
    I was shocked, everywhere I read said it would be cheaper.

Even if you just feed generic supermarket food it's got to be better than what she's finding on the street.
    Experts

Feb 8, 2010, 02:20 AM

Right now she gets whatever food is leftover from lunch at work. Sometimes she gets a can of cat food.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2010, 07:23 AM

I'm going to have to agree with the others on this one, heath. Cats are a commitment, you know that, but they do take a lot of money.

Cat food and litter alone are steady purchases for cat owners, and even if you get the cheap stuff, that's still a steady purchase. And believe me, the cheap litter is just NOT worth it!

I know that you want a kitty-baby now and this little one is in need of a home, but is there any way that you can find someone to take her?

I hate to be a downer, but I know how much cats cost.

You're going to have the initial expense of cat litter pans, scratching posts (because she WILL scratch), food, bowls, litter scoopers, flea shampoo and spray (because she is a stray, she probably has fleas), flea ROOM spray (because she WILL bring them inside), colar/tags (because being a stray, she WILL get outside one of these days), basic check up at the vet, brushes, and more...

Again, sorry to rain on the parade, but taking a cat in is more than just taking her in. You've got to have a plan and a budget for it.

Love you for doing this, but you've got to be realistic.

But here's some recipes (to stay on the OP) http://www.nocans.com/
    Experts

Feb 8, 2010, 08:15 AM

The litter pan and some litter are taken care of. My boss bought both when it started getting really cold and he started putting her in a back room at night. A big container of litter will last at least a month, and only costs around $20. I can afford that.

I can get a food bowl at the dollar tree that will be more than big enough for a kitty.

I use garlic in the food and a bath in diluted lemon juice and vinegar to get rid of fleas. It's not an immediate fix, but it does work over time.

Getting outside will be hard with the set-up of the apartment. There's an enclosed stairway with another door at the bottom outside the front door. I know it won't be impossible, but it'll be harder and I'll be extra careful for the first few months.

She's a short hair, so she should be fine without a brush until spring. When I do get one, they have them at the dollar tree.

I will be getting scratching posts, tags, and vet check-ups as I can afford them. I'm still looking for a second job, so I should have more money to work with eventually.

If there was someone else to take her, I'd let them. My boss is allergic to cats, and already has 2 dogs. His son has a cat that wouldn't take kindly to having another cat move in, and he's more than 4 times her size and weight. No one else is able to have pets, or has any interest in having a cat.

I have thought this through. I know cats cost money, and I've allowed for that. The basics I can budget for. The more expensive things, like the vetting, I can save up for. I am finally going to have a home after being homeless for 5 months, and I want to be able to give her the same security.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2010, 08:21 AM

Sounds like you've done your homework and have planned for your new roommate.

I would suggest buying cat food - looking at these recipes (on the above site), they could cost quite a bit of money.

Your apartment complex is OK with pets, right? Or, did I see somewhere that you are getting a house? (Congrats on that, by the way)

One thing that I did with my cat when I was on a limited income was to get a Banfield pet care wellness plan. Sounds crazy, but Banfield is through PetCo. I paid $10 a month and the basic checkups were free! Pet Health Care Plans: Adult Pet Nutrition & Vaccinations - Banfield
    Experts

Feb 8, 2010, 08:34 AM

It's the upstairs apartment of a house, and the landlord is fine with pets. It was one of the first things I asked.

I've never heard of banfield. I'll look into that, thanks.
    Experts

Feb 8, 2010, 01:15 PM

I looked into banfield. Unfortunately, the closest vet hospital that they cover is an hour away. Since I walk everywhere, or bike when I have one, that isn't reasonable. I really wish they had one closer, it looks like an amazing program that would help a lot.
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2010, 07:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    right now she gets whatever food is leftover from lunch at work. sometimes she gets a can of cat food.
    You also need to be doing some research of how to feed a cat. They can have certain human foods, yes, but a lot of it isn't going to be good for them, and that can't be a diet. Even when we resort to baby food when they're sick and not eating (which is human quality meat), that still isn't an appropriate diet. "Sometimes" getting a can of commercial food doesn't work. I'm a lot more open about what you can afford than a lot of people... (i.e. I still think it's better to have a home than end up dead at the humane society, not to mention that I can't judge whether you "need" a scatching post, etc.)... However, there's a line that crosses over where the cat is better off being PTS. And a diet of leftover lunch crosses that line in my opinion.

Even if you're just feeding the leftover meat, it still may be full of garbage she shouldn't have, but worse is that it's not supplemented properly. Even if you just buy a bag of dry commercial food, even the cheap junk (which makes me shiver), she'd still be better off.

Meaning, get some commercial cat food NOW.

And stop with the garlic while you're at it.

This is why your comments have scared me into believing you shouldn't be messing with a homemade diet. That has to be done RIGHT, and I can tell there's still too much you don't know... and that means not trying to "take over" how to make an appropriate cat food. I also refuse to believe it'll be cheaper, except maybe for some really high premium canned foods, and you don't need to get those anyway.

I too appreciate that you're trying to give this kitty a home, but when it comes to food, sorry, but I just see too much lack of knowledge for you to do anything but buy a basic commercial food.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 13, 2010, 08:04 PM

I've had cats all my long life. Please do not make your own cat food (cats need so many nutrients that you couldn't easily supply). Give her a quality brand of canned cat food. Even better, give her (moistened?) dry cat food. Cats don't eat all day, or many times a day. Please study up on how to provide for a cat. And please stop feeding her garlic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Let's talk about homemade food gifts [ 6 Answers ]

I dearly love treats from Harry & David and Zingerman's and Wolferman's and love to give them, but how about making gifts of food this Christmas? I've planned out my holiday baking so that certain people will be getting cookie assortments. Someone on another thread mentioned giving "recipes in a...

Any spicy thai food recipes from personal experience? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi everyone... :) I'm wondering if we have any thai food experts out there? I've been cooking thai food for about 2 years now and I've searched every website I could find but I am still having trouble getting authentic recipes that are even slightly close to restaurant quality food. Anyone...

Reported post in: Any spicy thai food recipes from personal experience? [ 1 Answers ]

Post: Any spicy thai food recipes from personal experience? Posted by: Federico Cleve Reason Given: This person quoted a cookbook and dropped off an AD advertising faucets/sinks at bottom of post. I don't think it belongs here or anywhere else. Thanks.

Homemade puppy food? [ 9 Answers ]

So my morkie puppy(yorkie/Maltese) just recently turned 9 months... but anyway lol... I was looking up like homemade meals online for puppies didn't really find anything good... I want to make him something.. kind of like a treat but like a meal like once a week... I have boiled chicken and gave...

Homemade cat food recipe [ 5 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I just ran out of cat food and I really don't feel like driving uptown, so does anyone have a easy cat food recipe?

View more questions Search