Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Feb 13, 2010, 08:40 PM

Right now I'm have no control over what she eats. My boss feeds her what he has.

I will, hopefully, be getting an apartment that allows cats the beginning of next month. When that happens, I'll be able to monitor and control what she eats.

I am well aware that there are some foods that cats can't have, and others they can only have in moderation. Dairy products are OK, on occasion and in small amounts. The same with tuna. Chocolate, of any kind, is never OK.

Garlic doesn't hurt cats, as long as it's in reasonable amounts. The amounts I use work out to about 1/8-1/4 teaspoon or garlic powder per cup of food. I usually add the garlic for about 1-2 weeks, then skip a week.

Since I am on a limited budget, I'm hoping to be able to at least augment a dry food diet with items I can buy with food stamps. If I end up needing to buy some dry food, that's OK, but it would be better if I had at least one recipe for homemade cat food that I could make to fill out her diet.

There are some things I will have to figure into my budget, and I'm OK with that. There are also things I will have to save up for and take care over time, and I'm OK with that, too. Food is something I know I can at least supplement with food stamps, which will allow more money for the things that can't be gotten any other way.

I'd like to know that if I end up short on money one week, or month, that I'll still be able to feed her. I can do without a lot of things, or find ways to make do with something else, but I don't expect a cat to do the same. Above all, I want to make sure that I always have the means to feed her, even if I don't have the cash to buy cat food.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 13, 2010, 08:44 PM

Most cats are lactose intolerant and will get diarrhea when fed milk. Why on earth are you insisting on giving the cat garlic? The ASPCA says on their Web site, "Cats are especially sensitive to garlic. Unfortunately, we don't know specifically what kind of dosage causes problems. We do know that gastrointestinal issues and red blood cell damage can occur as a result of cats eating garlic, though. An occasional low dose, such as that in most commercial pet foods and treats, may not cause a problem, but because of the risk, we generally recommend avoiding products that contain more concentrated amounts of garlic."

Did you know that a mouse is a cat's most perfect food? The stomach contents are especially important. Cat food manufacturers do their best to replicate that combination of protein, taurine, and grains.
    Experts

Feb 13, 2010, 08:51 PM

And that's why I am doing research before even attempting to find or create a recipe.

The garlic is just to help get rid of fleas. If fleas aren't a problem, then there's no need for garlic. She'll get a bath and a flea collar once I have a home for her. If fleas are still a problem, then I'll worry about adding garlic to her food.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 13, 2010, 08:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    the garlic is just to help get rid of fleas.
    Where did you hear that garlic gets rid of fleas on cats?
    Experts

Feb 13, 2010, 08:56 PM

From a vet with more than 20 years of experience. The fleas don't like the garlic smell, so they jump off the animal.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 13, 2010, 08:57 PM
    she'll get a bath and a flea collar once i have a home for her. if fleas are still a problem, then i'll worry about adding garlic to her food.
    NONE of these will solve the flea problem. Flea collars sit right under a cat's nose, and she breathes in the fumes all day. Nasty! And if you don't deflea all the cat blankets and pads and the places where she sits and even the carpet, the fleas will never leave. There are ways to deflea cats and possessions correctly.

How old is this cat?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 13, 2010, 08:58 PM
    from a vet with more than 20 years of experience. the fleas don't like the garlic smell, so they jump off the animal.
    I have never heard a vet say that in all the years I've had cats.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2010, 08:58 PM

Did this vet specifically say the garlic rule for cats?

As per Cats and Fleas: Which Repellents are Safe? | Care2 Healthy & Green Living :

"Although feeding raw garlic to your dog is a tried-and-true remedy for canine fleas, research now suggests that garlic and cats don't mix. Avoid using raw garlic with your feline: it can cause a dangerous form of anemia and even lead to death."

And I've seen it.
    Experts

Feb 13, 2010, 09:01 PM

I don't know for sure. My best guess is 1-3 years. I'd go with closer to 1 year than 3, though.
    Experts

Feb 13, 2010, 09:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariss View Post
    Did this vet specifically say the garlic rule for cats?

As per Cats and Fleas: Which Repellents are Safe? | Care2 Healthy & Green Living :

"Although feeding raw garlic to your dog is a tried-and-true remedy for canine fleas, research now suggests that garlic and cats don't mix. Avoid using raw garlic with your feline: it can cause a dangerous form of anemia and even lead to death."

And I've seen it.
    Yes, he did. My guess is that he hadn't heard of the new research, and neither had I. I will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 13, 2010, 09:08 PM
    yes, he did. my guess is that he hadn't heard of the new research, and neither had i. i will definitely keep that in mind. thanks.
    Please tell him, so he doesn't hurt any of his cat patients.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2010, 11:18 PM

Did you know that a mouse is a cat's most perfect food? The stomach contents are especially important. Cat food manufacturers do their best to replicate that combination of protein, taurine, and grains.
    They do? That's news to me. I have a chart on Excel with lots of numbers on it that says the vast majority of food manufacturers do otherwise. Especially the protein and grain - that's so absolutely not true. (Hmm, mouse about 45-50% protein, most cat foods probably 30% or less, mouse about 10% carbs, most dry foods about 30-35% or higher.)

I have another file that has a list of ingredients in many foods that also says otherwise.

On the other hand, they do a better job than just any old person trying to figure it out. Even a high carb yucko food will be better than homemade if it's not done right.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 13, 2010, 11:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    They do? That's news to me. I have a chart on Excel with lots of numbers on it that says the vast majority of food manufacturers do otherwise. Especially the protein and grain - that's so absolutely not true.
    I KNEW I should have PMed you before I posted that! My apologies to the cats of the world!
    Experts

Feb 13, 2010, 11:56 PM

Well, do you guys have any suggestions on what I could feed her that would best supplement a dry food diet?

I can handle buying some dry food, but it would be better if I could at least supplement it with other things. I would also prefer to have a recipe or food suggestions in case I run short on cash and have to buy her food with my food stamps.
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2010, 12:07 AM

I have taken quotes out of several threads, so hope this isn't confusing. Just didn't want to post over and over...

right now I'm have no control over what she eats. My boss feeds her what he has.
    Well, that's different. Although you really should beat him over the head.

dairy products are OK, on occasion and in small amounts.
    Depends on the cat. You seem to be finding a lot of things saying stuff that isn't necessarily the norm. Not sure where you're finding some of this stuff. Like that thing about taurine not being a problem if you cook at low enough temperature or whatever you said. I can find plenty of info saying otherwise. And it's not worth taking the chance.

Some cats can have a little dairy here and there, yes. But it's not a blanket statement that it's "OK." Depends on the cat, and depends on what you call occasionally. I'd stay away from milk. Cats don't need it. I know people who let their cats lick the ice cream bowl sometimes and that sort of thing. But really, keep it very limited. It's more of an occasional snack cause you feel like being indulgent, not part of a diet.

garlic doesn't hurt cats, as long as it's in reasonable amounts. The amounts I use work out to about 1/8-1/4 teaspoon or garlic powder per cup of food. I usually add the garlic for about 1-2 weeks, then skip a week.
    Well... garlic and onion are in the same family. (Family may not be the proper scientific term, but you know what I mean.) Onion absolutely is bad for cats and from what I can tell it's been assumed that garlic is as well. However, I haven't seen the evidence that garlic is the same problem that onion is. Meaning I don't have a hissy if some food has just the teensiest bit of garlic in it. But then, I feed a variety of stuff for the very reason that I don't think any one company has everything perfect. So if a food had garlic, it would be like some teensy amount in one out of every 20 cans or something. And what you're giving is WAY more than the "teensiest" bit that might be in some cat food. What you're giving is more the equivalent of an entire clove of garlic!

From a vet with more than 20 years of experience.
    Referring to where you heard the thing about garlic... I've seen vets with 20 years of experience kill cats, so that means absolutely nothing to me. Cats have fallen behind the ranks in terms of research. They've been treated like small dogs for far too long. So most cat research is fairly recent and is nothing close to being up to par at this point. And many vets don't stay up to date. So a lot of what they do is based on old stuff. A young inexperienced vet can learn and may stay caught up. An older experienced vet may be way behind in everything and not care. (On the other hand, a young inexperienced vet once tried to kill one of my cats. Experience is certainly worth something, but it isn't any guarantee.)

I know I harp on vets a lot, but man, if you'd seen some of the stuff I have... (I love my own vet, BTW.)

since I am on a limited budget, I'm hoping to be able to at least augment a dry food diet with items I can buy with food stamps. If I end up needing to buy some dry food, that's OK, but it would be better if I had at least one recipe for homemade cat food that I could make to fill out her diet.
    I'm trying to figure this out. Homemade is certainly much more expensive than dry. I've never admitted to knowing the exact cost of homemade, especially since it will depend on recipe, but one of the links I gave you shows where one person worked out the approximate costs. I suspect it's more expensive than anything but one of the more expensive premium foods. (Which, again, you don't have to get, making homemade more expensive.)

So, you're not allowed to buy cat food on food stamps? So you're using what cash you actually have yourself to get the food, right?

I would say the homemade would still be more expensive and I don't see the point in that. (And I still think you have too much bad information.) You can buy both dry and canned and store some in case you need some supplement. Dry will become rancid after a period, but it'll last a while. Canned can last a good long while - look at the expiration dates and just try to find ones that are newer. You can also take the canned a bit after that expiration date.

I'm an accountant. There is nothing financially logical in your plan to me. Homemade would undoubtedly be more expensive for you. I'm very aware of the concept of cash flow as well. I don't see how making homemade and keeping it around is more financially sound than buying some extra dry/canned and keeping it around. You'd have to freeze the homemade and things can lose nutrients over time. (And then you'd have to add more taurine.) I just don't see the financial logic in that.

Just stock up on some dry/canned when you have the extra cash. Next time you have extra cash, use that up and replace it, just to keep your stash a little newer. If you really think it's going to be an issue, just do the dry. And that's coming from me, the food freak. A cat can "survive" on dry, assuming this cat doesn't have any special problems like IBD or tendency towards stones, etc. (That could be an issue, especially the way your boss likes to feed. I hope the cat is only 1yo cause she'll get over it more quickly.)

How did this thread suddenly get to 4 pages?
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2010, 12:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I KNEW I should have PMed you before I posted that! My apologies to the cats of the world!
    LOL. Oh the poor kitties.

You have to forgive my attitude. I'm not sure if anyone knows how I got to be such a fanatic, but it's because of the diabetic I ended up with. As far as I'm concerned, I gave him diabetes. I denied a lot of what I was told at first, and sometimes I forget what it's like to just drop everything you've believed your whole life. But that's what led me down the path to studying nutrition and food, and I really do have that Excel file full of nutrient values. And me being an accountant and all... well, doesn't that just figure? ;)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 14, 2010, 12:19 AM
    And me being an accountant and all... well, doesn't that just figure? ;)
    I'm a cataloger at a public library. Numbers are my middle name too. My OCD self likes your OCD self.

I'm hoping the OP learns a lot from this thread!
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2010, 12:26 AM
    well, do you guys have any suggestions on what i could feed her that would best supplement a dry food diet?
    I don't know the cost comparison. I don't know if you hate math like everyone else or whether you'd want to figure this out.

The best supplement to any food for a cat is human grade meat, like chicken. And egg. Egg actually has the best quality protein. I've heard differing opinions with egg on the cooked vs raw, and white vs yolk, so I don't know about that part. (Cooking is safer. And I know cats don't have the same cholesterol issues humans do, but maybe you think white is safer.)

From a general consensus, 15% is probably the max amount of the cat's diet you'd want to give of that type of non-supplemented food. (I've heard 15-20, but think 15% is the safer consensus.)

So, is it cheaper to feed dry and supplement with a little cooked chicken, or just to feed some of the diet with canned instead of dry? I suspect canned is probably better than dry supplemented with human grade meat -- couldn't tell you which would come out cheaper cause I've never thought about it.
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2010, 12:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I'm a cataloger at a public library. Numbers are my middle name too. My OCD self likes your OCD self.
    Hey, cool. I like the library as well. :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 14, 2010, 12:34 AM
    The best supplement to any food for a cat is human grade meat, like chicken. And egg.
    How about any poultry? My cats adore turkey bits whenever I roast one. And Thomas Jefferson used to wait patiently until I finished eating my two fried or scrambled eggs, then lick up the yolk liquid or scrambled bits left on my plate. Now that he's in kitty heaven, Kuro has first dibs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Let's talk about homemade food gifts [ 6 Answers ]

I dearly love treats from Harry & David and Zingerman's and Wolferman's and love to give them, but how about making gifts of food this Christmas? I've planned out my holiday baking so that certain people will be getting cookie assortments. Someone on another thread mentioned giving "recipes in a...

Any spicy thai food recipes from personal experience? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi everyone... :) I'm wondering if we have any thai food experts out there? I've been cooking thai food for about 2 years now and I've searched every website I could find but I am still having trouble getting authentic recipes that are even slightly close to restaurant quality food. Anyone...

Reported post in: Any spicy thai food recipes from personal experience? [ 1 Answers ]

Post: Any spicy thai food recipes from personal experience? Posted by: Federico Cleve Reason Given: This person quoted a cookbook and dropped off an AD advertising faucets/sinks at bottom of post. I don't think it belongs here or anywhere else. Thanks.

Homemade puppy food? [ 9 Answers ]

So my morkie puppy(yorkie/Maltese) just recently turned 9 months... but anyway lol... I was looking up like homemade meals online for puppies didn't really find anything good... I want to make him something.. kind of like a treat but like a meal like once a week... I have boiled chicken and gave...

Homemade cat food recipe [ 5 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I just ran out of cat food and I really don't feel like driving uptown, so does anyone have a easy cat food recipe?

View more questions Search