Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zmarash Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Nov 23, 2006, 01:29 AM
    What this qoutation mean?
    3.Oliver Goldsmith once said, “You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips.” What do you think he was trying to say here?
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2006, 03:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zmarash
    3.Oliver Goldsmith once said, “You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips.” What do you think he was trying to say here?
    I think, Actions speak louder than words.

It is far better to do good acts than to just move your lips and talk about them.

It has more of an impact, more of a message, to do good kind acts, to lead by example, to try and live your life as morally sound as possible, then to preach with words and judge others about wrongdoings.

Great quote by the way.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 23, 2006, 07:53 AM
    Ok, I have to ask, what does this have to do with interviewing for a job, I have been asked a lot of dumb questions, "what sort of tree would I be if I was a tree"

But of course since you have a number (3) before it, like this is a question out of a book, maybe cut and paste?
    zmarash Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Nov 24, 2006, 04:08 PM
    Father! Os I can say Padre!

That is great what are you doing, and I respect you for that, but when it come for Quotation ar a questions , God send Angels to help us, so you are not being an Angel.Do not chock people with religon, People know how to find God, I think God is everywhere with his children, and watching over them.

God Have mercy
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 24, 2006, 05:46 PM
    I will add, I don't know of any interview person that will ask you the meaning of that question, Unless you are perhaps going to interview for a English teacher position.

I was asking, and still am asking, the reference as to how this applys to job interviews.

Perhaps this merely needs to be moved to English or College or some other forum that it would apply more properly.

I just can not see where it refers to job interviews. And I was not trying or even mention religion,?
    dacybugg Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2006, 10:49 PM
    I think that he was trying to say that if you can lead a good example with your life, you can do better than just telling people the right thing to do. They will look up to you more, and listen better.
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Nov 27, 2006, 04:56 PM
    He was saying that the sermon you live carries more weight than anything you can say. Another twist on this is, "What you do speaks so loudly I cannot hear what you say."

The principle is that fine words are one thing, but the example of a blameless life beats any sermon ever preached, and it is the good example, not the exhortation that changes lives.

M:)RGANITE

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search