Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justjill3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2010, 11:36 AM
    Do I have an electrical problem or not?
    First, the problem. I have two flush-mounted ceiling light fixtures on my front porch. Bulbs are constantly (1 yr) blowing out. This is frequently accompanied by a spark. It seems as though I recall having a spark at the wall switch,as well. I have tried fluorescent as well as incandescent bulbs. Along with this problem, I hate opening the fixtures. Goodness knows what lives in them. I want to replace these flush-mounted fixtures with pendant fixtures. That will allow me to just reach up and change the bulbs. Could there be a short or an overload?
    Secondly, I want to beef up my security by having more security lights under the eaves & at the corners of my house.

Now, I have used two electrical businesses. I am reluctant to use them again, because they wanted to sell me an annual maintenance contract. To complicate matters more, my breaker box has no empty spaces. In fact, both electricians have told me that the circuit that is screwed to the exterior of the box shouldn't be there. Will my box have to be upgraded for the new lights? Do I need a maintenance contract? Should I go with a big company?

Any answers would be GREATLY appreciated
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2010, 07:34 PM
    If you have a spark, you have an electrical problem. Frequent burned out bulbs are often the symptoms of a loose connection, also the cause of your spark. I don't know what "circuit screwed to the exterior of the box" means exactly. You can always try another contractor. I personally think that if everything is repaired and working safely and as it should, a maintenance contract would not be necessary. Many experts on this board who will chime in as well on that subject.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2010, 09:13 PM

While it's hard to predict what's going on, bulbs can blow because of:
    Loose or poor connections, age and a manufacture's defect (some times in batches).

Loose connections is a prime problem here.

Repeated blowing may be a sign that the switch neds to be replaced.

The fixture needs to be examined for signs of excessive heat and discoloration of the bulb contacts.

When you use bulbs in a damp location such as aquariums, bathrooms and outside, (This outside includes car bulbs) put a thin film of petroleum jelly on the bulb base before inserting.

This saves a lot of issues down the road like when a bulb gets stuck.

I do it everywhere.
    justjill3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2010, 04:50 AM
    Thank you, both. If I understand correctly, I need to check (or have the electrician check) for loose connections. I have had the wall switch replaced a couple of times because I have wanted to try different types of switches. One more time won't hurt.

I will have the fixture checked, even though I am changing them out.

The petroleum jelly tip is greatly appreciated.
    bolen electric Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2010, 08:33 AM
    Try using a lower wattage bulb, trapped heat kills bulbs.
    Maintenance contracts are a good deal for the one writing the contract.
    I can't comment on a panel upgrade without all the facts.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2010, 03:03 PM

I would not get a service contract, Big companies don't mean squat, they often make a job much larger than it is, Ask neighbors or friends/coworkers.
    They make breakers that have 2 breakers that fit in 1 space. You may need a couple
    LandserElectric Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Feb 9, 2010, 08:19 PM

As far as the panel goes I would suggest just hiring someone else a 1hr service call to come inspect your panel. We do this all the time for people who buy older homes, and its required if the powers been off over a year. They may also have a flat rate for a "safety inspection" They can see whether its just full of breakers without much load or needs to be upgraded. Have them use a clamp on meter and see if your load is roughly equal across each leg, check for heat or signs of heating. If you have some ckts without a lot of load you can combine them in a "twin" breaker, but I wouldn't just do that without a bit of research, those things are a good way to overload an already overloaded system. If it's a simple loose connection, he can probably fix all that as well. Its common to have an hr or two minimum, but the forum rules will not allow me to give an honest assessment of somebody trying to hawk a maintenance contract to a homeowner. I can't even believe that 2 different companies attempted that, wow...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Tub Electrical Problem [ 2 Answers ]

Our problem is with it going on standby after the tub gets up to temperature. The breaker never kicks off. The red light just starts flashing. Anyone have any ideas?! Thanks so much for your help!

Electrical problem [ 1 Answers ]

I've got a 1975 dodge power wagon. My after market ammeter shorted out and screwed things up, besides that all my wiring is old and brittle and broken. Where can I go and get a good wiring harness? I rolled the p/u years ago and when I put it back together I used a 1977 cab. The harness from the...

'92 Civic electrical problem [ 1 Answers ]

The battery light has started to come on - the battery has checked out good with 12.6 volts with engine off and when running the battery stays the same 12.6 volts. Am I looking at an alternator problem or something in wiring for this problem?

Electrical problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1987 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 plow truck that will not start.  When you turn the key to start the interior light goes out and it will not start.  You have to let it sit for 24 before the interior light comes on again.  And the cycle goes on,  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thank You.

View more questions Search