Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newlablover Posts: 120, Reputation: 10

Feb 7, 2010, 01:23 AM
    99 Grand Am stalling occasionally
    I just bought a 99 Grand Am that has 198000 miles on it from a garage. I took it for a test drive and all went well. Yesterday, I was in the drive through and it just stalled all of a sudden. I started it right back up and it was fine after that. What could cause this? I know that it probably is going to need a tune-up since it had been sitting for a while. Would this be the fix?

Please help! I have 3 young kids and don't want to get stranded somewhere with them in the car!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2010, 06:44 AM

. Ensure the platinum plugs (ACDelco only) have been replaced in the last 3 years. Many people neglect replacing them because of the hassle in replacing the rear plugs. Use the exact plugs that came in the car.

. Replace the Ignition Control Module and coil packs, if the problem persists.

Feb 8, 2010, 03:45 PM
    I just took it in for a bumper to bumper inspection and they told me that I need to replace the feul injector. Would this be causing it?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 8, 2010, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by newlablover View Post
    I just took it in for a bumper to bumper inspection and they told me that i need to replace the feul injector. would this be causing it?
    They should have told you what was wrong with the injector.
    How long ago did you buy this car?

I would recommend you get a second opinion. You may have an Idle Air Control (IAC) valve that is dirty and sluggish and, while sitting in the drive-thru, it couldn't keep up with the changes in engine load and the engine stalled.

Feb 8, 2010, 06:08 PM
    I just bought the car Friday. I didn't speak with the gentleman who looked over my car, my boyfriend did, so unfortunately I have no exact idea as to what was exactly said. I do know though that the mechanic said that my car otherwise was in immaculate condition for having the amount of miles on it that it has. The only other thing we were told needed to be done was that the break lines were dirty.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 8, 2010, 07:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by newlablover View Post
    I just bought the car Friday. I didnt speak with the gentleman who looked over my car, my bf did, so unfortunately i have no exact idea as to what was exactly said. I do know though that the mechanic said that my car otherwise was in immaculate condition for having the amount of miles on it that it has. The only other thing we were told needed to be done was that the break lines were dirty.
    OK, but how long have you owned this car?
    You said that you "just bought" the Grand Am. Inline 4 or V-6?
    Tx touched on it, but you still haven't confirmed. Just curious.

I'd be inclined to find out more about that first thing and not so much about that other stuff.

Feb 11, 2010, 03:18 AM

As I said before, I bought the car on Friday which means that I have owned it for just less than a week now. It is a 4 cyl. The mechanic said that the feul system needs to be replaced? ( I believe) whatever it was, was only going to cost 70.00.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 11, 2010, 05:55 AM

In my honest opinion, less than one week is far too soon to be having any problems.
    A reputable dealer should take care of the stalling issue and offer an apology.
    Before buying anything is the best time to research the seller's reputation, but it looks like you'll be testing "customer satisfaction after the sale."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

92 Honda will occasionally not start [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My son in law is having problems with his 92 Honda Accord not starting some times. Several days in the shop and no luck with diagnosits. Example car has sat in parking lot for 8 hours. It spins over just fine but will not hit a lick. He calls for help 20 minutes later it cranks first try....

Usually happy, occasionally really miserable [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 16, and I'm nearly always a really happy person. I'm always finding new things to enjoy in my life and mostly I think that nothing is worth getting upset about because life is too precious to waste by being miserable. But sometimes, I hit rock-bottom and I just can't stop crying. Last month,...

What are a grand mothers rights to see her grand children [ 2 Answers ]

What are a grand mothers rights

Gaggin. Occasionally puking? [ 12 Answers ]

We got a beagle mix last August... and lately she's been gagging at random times and sometimes she pukes... but her vomit doesn't appear to have anything in it that would cause her to have this reaction... any ideas as to what may help, or why she is acting this way?

2000 jeep grand cherokee lardeo keeps stalling [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have a 2000 jeep grand cherokee laredo and it keeps stalling on me. It will stall while I'm driving.and sometimes when its stopped... alot of times it don't give you any clue that it is going to stall (it was great when I was doing 70 on the high way in the high speed lane with someone tail...

View more questions Search