Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    0911jemb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2010, 08:41 PM
    Can I issue a 1099 to a consultant's comp after she cashed the check as an indiv?
    I wrote a check to a consultant for work in 2009, and now she does not want to provide her SSN for me so that I can issue her a 1099. She has asked if I can issue the 1099 to her company instead. I wrote the check to her personally, so I don't know how to do this, if it can even be done?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2010, 08:48 PM

You should have asked her to file W-9 before making the payment.
    Talk to her again. Then you can call IRS, there is penalty for not providing W-9.
    0911jemb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2010, 08:53 PM

I agree, and it sounds like you also agree that that I cannot just issue a 1099 to her company. I will keep pushing for the SSN. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When does my check get cashed? [ 2 Answers ]

My apartment lease in Minnesota was up on February 28th, 2009. My landlord cashed the security deposit check on February 18th, 2009. Can they legally cash it 10 days before my lease was up?

I cashed at check and it bounce [ 1 Answers ]

I have a small business in nyc and I have a coustomer who come to me every day and but lives in longisland. He bought some stuff from me and did have enough money so he gave me his pay check and gave me 10% cut fro cashing. Afer a month now the check bounce. What shoul I do because someone say its...

Corporations A/P check is not cashed, ANSWER! [ 4 Answers ]

I work in Accounts Payable. We have received a check (more than $1,000.00) and deposited it in our bank, but we were not the Payee on the check (bank did not catch it also). We have sent the same amount back to them, but now they will not deposit our check. I have called them several times, and...

Deposit check never cashed [ 18 Answers ]

My wife and I came very close to renting an apartment, but did not sign the lease after experiencing some hostility and evasiveness from the (first time) landlords. When we handed in our application, one of the landlords asked for a deposit (though no stipulations were made), and she let my wife...

View more questions Search