Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mommy954 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2010, 08:08 PM
    The screen is black on my tube TV. When I bang the side of it, it comes back...
    I have a panasonic 1997 tube TV model number CT-36G32V. When we turn it on the screen is black... I only hear sound until I bang hard on the side of the TV. Then the picture comes on. Does anyone have a fix for what it could be. It will cost $80.00 for someone to just take a look at it. HELP!! :)
    rs232c Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 03:53 AM

It's cheaper to get a new TV. Electronic devices have a threshold - a point of no return - when it becomes cheaper in the long run to replace than fix.

How much did the set cost - $200, $300 and parts and labor will be 40% that price and up to fix for 30 - 90 days labor warranty? If you got it 13 years ago and paid even $400 your cost of ownership was 400/13 or less than $31 a year.

You have to hit it because it's broken. You keep hitting it at the risk of breaking something else. Electronic devices are built to last ten years. If you fix this you can't expect something else to happen sooner than later.

Sometimes like old shoes we want to hang on to something familiar or don't want to invest in something new, after all I don't think they make tube TV's anymore.

If you want a quick fix, there is none only a 'qualified service personnel' has the proper tools and experience to do that. Getting those last miles out of it may be the gamble you want to take.

Afterwards don't ask yourself if you could've spend the same amount of money on a fully working set on eBay or something.

Either way your three choices - repair, used, or new, neither will last forever so my only advice is to do the math on how you can get the biggest bang for the buck your willing to commit to it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GE side by side refrigerator leaking at the right bottom, back near the water hose [ 1 Answers ]

My GE side by side refrig is leaking at the back bottom right side near the water hose pipe that connects to the inside of the refrig from the top side. It stops when the water valve is shut off. Can I know how I can fix this. Also the water dispenser is not working. Not sure if both the problems...

Screen and icons unable to get screen back to normal size [ 3 Answers ]

I have been unable to get my screen back to normal size, everyone else that logs in hah no problem but my Icons are to large as well as my back ground I am unable to read my emails and of course I am very fustrated, can you please help me?

Screen and icons unable to get screen back to normal size [ 2 Answers ]

I have been unable to get my screen back to normal size, everyone else that logs in hah no problem but my Icons are to large as well as my back ground I am unable to read my emails and of course I am very fustrated, can you please help me?

Laptop screen is shaking with lines one the side [ 3 Answers ]

My laptop is a hp compaq. One day while I was trying to download something, the screen started flickering, then all the pixels seem to be moving torward the bottom left, and messing up the blue color. Also there are several moving lines on the left that look like a bar-code. I have no idea what...

Screen goes black [ 7 Answers ]

Ok, I have a IBM thinkpad, when we turn it on, the screen comes and lights up and shows IBM, and it shows it is pulling up windows, but as soon as the windows starts to open, the screen goes black. Nothing. I can hook another monitor to the back of the lap top and it works fine, What...

View more questions Search