Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    big1bird Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

Nov 22, 2006, 08:10 PM
    8mm Tape Head Cleaning
    I'm using high end (pro oxide and metal) Sony tapes in several camcorders, but periodically the heads get dirty, and need to be cleaned.

I've used chamois cleaning sticks, dry cleaning tapes, and in desperation, copier paper wetted with isopropyl alcohol. But it seems that about every 50 to 100 tapes, I'm cleaning gunk, and can take an hour or more trying to get the heads clean.

The tape paths, and the insides of the drives are VERY clean, and I do a good job keeping the tapes in cases, and clean that way.

Oh, the equipment I have is Sony consumer 8mm... three different camcorders.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bb
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Nov 23, 2006, 03:00 PM
    I clean them with Qtip and alcohol, they do sell the extra Qtip for this purpose, I think it is the best way
    boutwellrj Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Nov 24, 2006, 11:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by big1bird
    I'm using high end (pro oxide and metal) Sony tapes in several camcorders, but periodically the heads get dirty, and need to be cleaned.

I've used chamois cleaning sticks, dry cleaning tapes, and in desperation, copier paper wetted with isopropyl alcohol. But it seems that about every 50 to 100 tapes, I'm cleaning gunk, and can take an hour or more trying to get the heads clean.

The tape paths, and the insides of the drives are VERY clean, and I do a good job keeping the tapes in cases, and clean that way.

Oh, the equipment I have is Sony consumer 8mm...three different camcorders.

Thanks for your thoughts.

bb
    Never under any conditions do you use a Q-tip on video heads!! I was a video tech for 35 years and that was the most quick way to have to replace the video heads. Real chamois with the proper head cleaning solution is only way to go. Alcohol should only be used in an emergency.
    To respond to poster's problem. I would supect that the tapes you are using are an inexpensive brand or they have bee used too many times. 8MM only get about 3-5 record and play uses before they begin to break down. Remember you use the same heads for record and playback. The gunk that you are cleaning off is not dirt , but residue from tape. Very few video heads get dirty from external causes.

Nov 24, 2006, 10:12 PM
    Many of the chamois sticks sold for headcleaning are fake chamois.

On an 8mm head, or at least on the equipment I own, there are three heads. I seem to recall that one has a much narrower gap... what is that head for?

I'd never use a q tip on a video head, but I do use the foam covered swabs made for conventional computer tape heads, when I clean the tape path and capstan.

The tapes I'm using are the Sony Pro tapes (black boxes) and are either conventional oxide or metal tapes. I have hundreds of them. Generally they record a basketball game, and then play it back (to cut a dvd, or previously a tape). They are recorded once, and then played one to 4 times, and then they sit in dry storage. Again, I figure about every 50 tapes or so, I have a problem with a head getting gunk on it.

Thanks for any comments on the head geometry.
    boutwellrj Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Nov 27, 2006, 08:40 AM
    big1bird,
    I have to say again, heads only get dirty from the tapes being used. There could be any number of reasons tapes break down. Getting to hot, too cold, humidity, exposed to some type of chemicals. It sounds like you like to take care of your equipment, so you will have to bite the bullet and clean as often as necessary. If your are looking for the different types of heads that you camcorder uses, they are as follows: Audio head stationary) Erase head (stationary) Video head ( rotary) three heads are mounted to this rotary drum. The same heads are used for play or record (2) the third head is used for special effects ( playback only). Slow motion, speed search, freeze frame for noise free playback( lines in picture). Anything else I can help you with just let me know.

Note: Sony Camcorders have a problem that shows up quite frequently that makes it look like dirty heads. The tape guide posts set screw gets loose and the tape then does not align against heads properly. The only cure is to do a tape guide realignment and then tighten down screws and put a little loc-tite on screw so it does not work loose again.
    Rich

Nov 27, 2006, 11:15 AM
    On the three head drum, two of the heads appear identical. One appears to have a finer gap, and is constructed differently. Is that the special effects head?

I've cleaned them, and things are running OK. I bought a backup camcorder, identical model, via eBay, to enhance my reliability/availability.

Are Sony schematic/service documents available?

Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rain shower head & handheld shower head problem [ 4 Answers ]

I have a shower with 2 pipes for showers heads (one on the wall in front, and one on a side wall). The wall in front has a rain shower head on it. The wall to the side has a hand held shower head attached. The pipe with the hand held shower attached has a push button valve to turn the handheld on...

How much pipe thread tape to use? [ 5 Answers ]

Yikes. I was installing the tub spout and the copper stub-out was way too long. I measure and measured again and cut it too short. It doesn't extend far enough Into the spout to seal. Can I use silicone or something? What others options To I have? The spout is the type you described in a...

Bad Tape Job [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a chance to by a fixer upper and noticed that the dry wall joints had been badly taped and could be seen through the paint and/or falling off all together. What is the best way to handle this?

Paneling Seam Tape [ 2 Answers ]

I have put up some new paneling and most of it looks really good, but there are a few seams that show up. My brother told me about using seam tape that matches my paneling, I cannot find this, Lowe's & home depot thought I was on drugs when I asked. Can any one point me to a website or a store that...

Recording a cassette tape... [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way to record a cassette tape onto the computer and then putting that recorded song on a blank cd via cd-burner? Thanks

View more questions Search