Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    constructiondjw Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2010, 04:55 PM
    Heat Pump blows 5amp fuse when switching between defrost & back to heat. Em Heat work
    I have a Carrier Heat Pump System. It’s about 5 years old and has functioned OK until this Christmas Eve. One problem is the condensing unit is not kicking back on after it goes into defrost mode. I found a 5AMP fuse blown in the attic unit and once replaced it functioned. At least for a day or two (I’m guessing until it went into defrost mode again). My thermostat blinks “heat on” but will not communicate to turn the heat pump back on (regardless of timeframe). The “on” fan will kick on if done at the thermostat but not “auto” (in heat mode). When I go to “Em Heat” it kicks on immediately & works as intended. I’ve learned it heats better than nothing. I had a few local Heating & Air guys come out to service/fix etc. One of the two companies went to get parts on the 3rd of January….. guess he’s not coming back. 2nd guy was here 30 min, pumped $600 of Freon in the system and was gone before I could get home from work (30 min away). He also found and fixed something loose up close to the breaker that has blown a few times. It worked a week (warmer weather) then more of the same. When I went up to change the fuse in the attic it was not blown. When I turned the breaker back on located on the attic unit it starting working (had left the thermostat set to “heat”). Only thing I can come up with is loose wires or circuit board?? Later that night I had to go back to Em. Heat and can’t seem to rattle it back to life. Can you damage by overcharging the system? Tech told me no leaks in system-if installed correctly 5 years ago is that possible? Wow……………….that ended up more like a novel!? Any direction would be appreciated…….its cold!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 6, 2010, 05:07 PM
    You had a visit from the gas in a flash service man I see and he nailed you for 600.00 to boot. I do not know off hand how much gas (refrigerant) your system will hold but I am sure you were ripped off.

What you need to do is find a real service person to repair your unit. There have been too many different service people at your home especially with the gas passer that now it should be completely gone over since it is probably over charged at this point.

Sorry to be just stating the facts but there has to be someone reputable in your area. Ask your neighbors or friends who they use for service since the key to your problem is finding a knowledgeable person to work on your unit.

This is the best advice I can give you under these circumstances.

NOTE: Your fuse problem is possibly being caused by a short circuit. It could be in the low voltage wiring going to the outside unit or elsewhere or in a electric component in the outside or inside unit.
    constructiondjw Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2010, 10:22 AM

I found a short in a wire running from the Air Handler fan control board anf repaired it…….. I believe I'm past that. Question:Is the (Carrier OEM 230/24 Volt Transformer Code:TRA01CN236) designed to run warm & buzz? It was still pretty warm 10-20 min after I shut Em Heat off. I noticed a noise and traced it back to the volt transformer then looked it up. The air handler is a FA4ANF060 – 5 TON, 10 SEER. The outside unit outside calls for a Compressor lock out Circuit Board(Bryant Carrier) Code:CIB660014). I'm guessing this is the part I need to address next? I plan on R&R myself……any warnings or tools of the trade needed? Will I gain anything by replacing the compressor while I'm at it?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 7, 2010, 11:29 AM
    The next thing you need to address is the possible overcharge of refrigerant. If overcharged it is not good for the unit.

Tell me again why are you replacing the compressor lockout board?

It is normal for a transformer to be warm and they do hum a bit sometimes. It does take a tester to see if the low voltage circuit is drawing to many VA effecting the transformer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat Pump AC blows out Heat. [ 2 Answers ]

My heat pump, set to cool the house, is instead cooling mother nature and heating up our house. It worked just fine yesterday; not a thing has changed. Any ideas?:confused:

Heat pump never turns on, handler blows continuous with no heat except with AUX heat [ 2 Answers ]

10 year old Rheem air handler RHBA-21J8MFCA, 1/3HP, 2.8A. New WeSt Columbia, SC 29170, Model 2HP13L48P-1B, HCFC-22, 4TON. Installed new out of box iN July and AC working splendidly but start-up is "violent" and loud. Installer says I need some sort of "start-up kit". I put off as had planned...

Goodman heat pump does not switch on for heat and the AC blows A/H fuses. [ 4 Answers ]

My Goodman heat pump, model GSH130361AD, heat does not switch on (outer unit). When it first went out, the Honeywell T8411R t-stat digital display went blank. First, I tried replacing the stat with other, but they only accommodated 5 wires. Wiring to the Honeywell was 7 wires. I'll come back to...

20 yr old Lennox heat pump fan blows constantly in heat mode [ 5 Answers ]

20 year old Lennox heat pump - outside temps been 30's at night, 40's daytime UPDATE: I went outside and the unit is covered in frost on 3 sides! I've been reading on Google about frosted heat pump units and can't determine how to manually defrost it. Apparently, the auto defrost is not...

AC or Heat does not work when switching to AC or Heat [ 3 Answers ]

I have a programmable thermostate installed a year ago and it has been working since until a few days ago. Both AC and Heat don't work , I don't hear any kicking. I did a reset on the thermostate did not make any difference. The fan is on Auto. Now I am interested in knowing if it is the...

View more questions Search