Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linnerrooth Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2010, 09:00 AM
    1999 accord v6 alternator is outputing 14.9 volts. Is this too high?
    Returned home after 80 mile drive in heavy fog. Turned car of and all electrical was dead. Even the door looks would not work. 30 minutes later all electrics worked and car started normally. Used a battery/alternator tester which showed battery charge and condition excellent, but the alternator checked way high. Put voltage tester on alternator and got a reading of 14.9. Put in new alternator and new battery--reading still 14.9. Is this a normal reading for a honda v6, and if not, what is causing the high output, and why did I lose all power?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2010, 09:10 AM

Normal. Regulated battery voltage should be between 14 and 15 volts:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1973613

Loss of power may indicate the ignition switch is starting to fail. Remove the switch and check for wear, pitting, or melting:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post224652

You may also want to weatherize your electrical system by removing (one at a time) each under hood fuse, cleaning them with abrasive cloth, and lightly coating them with dielectric grease. I'd go further and weatherize, with dielectric grease, battery and starter terminals and cables, main grounds, main ECM ground, ECM connectors, igniters, coils, spark plug connectors, coating spark plug porcelein, and tail and brake lights. This helps prevent wet starting problems in seemingly small, but significant, ways. Attention to detail makes a big difference when operating in wet, humid conditions--especially around salt air.
    linnerrooth Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2010, 10:09 AM
    [QUOTE=TxGreaseMonkey;2214760]Normal. Regulated battery voltage should be between 14 and 15 volts:

Ok. Thank you!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2010, 10:24 AM

I'd focus on the ignition switch. These type of problems only get worse, especially at inopportune times.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2010, 10:53 AM

Loose battery cable connections at block cimps or battery.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to remove an alternator on a 1990 honda accord lx [ 1 Answers ]

Well I have a 1990 honda accord lx and I can't figure out how to get the alenator off I have only found one bolt and I can't find the rest to get it off Any advice??

'96 Honda Accord Alternator [ 2 Answers ]

How do you remove one?

1990 Honda Accord with erratic alternator [ 18 Answers ]

I'm usually pretty good with cars, but this one has me scratching my head. I start my 1990 accord (245K miles - yeah baby!), and the alternator doesn't charge the battery. Voltage is around 12v, then drops as I drive to work (~10 minutes). By the time I get to work the battery voltage is...

Alternator Reading Zero Volts at Battery [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2002 Civic EX and the charging system light came on. I dropped in a new battery as the original was getting tired anyway. The car started but charging system light was still lit. I had the alternator tested and it is showing zero volts. I have seen alternators show low voltage, but...

View more questions Search