Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hipoath Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2010, 04:20 PM
    How to ground circuit breaker box
    100 AMP Service - Breaker Box - obviously residential. Must you use a grounding rod? If so, how many? Inside or outside the foundation? What gauge (copper wire)?
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2010, 10:08 PM
    The grounding rod can be anywhere close to the panel. I've seen rods pounded through a hole in concrete below the panel in a basement installation.
    edwood2001 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2010, 05:48 AM

You will need 2 copper ground rods 8 foot long each and drive them in the outside earth until flush with the ground. They must be 6 feet apart from each other. You have to run a #6 gauge wire from the panel box ground bar to the new ground rods outside and clamp the wire to each rod
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2010, 06:08 AM
    Not to add any confusion, but I need to add some detail.

If the home is served by a metal water pipe that has at least 10 feet of pipe in earth, it SHALL be the primary grounding electrode, and there SHALL be at least one ground rod, with the #6 copper wire coming from the neutral/equipment ground bar in the panel connecting to the water line, no farther than 5 feet from the point of entrance into the home and the ground rod.

If the home is served by a plastic water line, then the two ground rods method is acceptable.

Many times, homes served by plastic water lines have metal water lines inside the home, and if so, the water lines shall be Bonded to the neutral/equipment ground bar by a #8 copper wire.

Minor note, when two ground rods are driven, they must be AT LEAST six feet apart, they can be farther way from each other, but not closer. As mentioned, the top of the rods must not be above ground, all 8 feet must be in earth, and the ground clamp connector must be rated for direct burial.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have no power on one circuit from the breaker box. [ 1 Answers ]

I have no power on one circuit from the breaker box... I have replaced the breaker, all outlets, switches, and light receptacles on the circuit... all wire junctions seem to be secure... any other ideas??

Why do we need to bond neutral & ground in breaker box [ 5 Answers ]

I have noticed that in the Main breaker box we bond the neutral and ground togather. The questions are; 1- Why do we need to do so. 2- If I plug my drill in to any grounded outlet, why the ground wire is not carring any current as the neutral does and we can touch ground wire where as we can't...

Can Common and Ground Wires be Connected Together in a Breaker Box? [ 9 Answers ]

I am using a spare bedroom for a workshop, and have installed extra lighting, a central vacuum and various power tools. The existing outlets are on two circuits, each with a 15 amp breaker. Both circuits are shared with other rooms and I occasionally overload the circuit and have to reset one or...

Circuit Breaker Box [ 2 Answers ]

Can the circuit breaker box and panel be plastic or only metal ?

Upgrading from a fuse box to a circuit breaker box [ 1 Answers ]

How do I upgrade my fuse box in my home

View more questions Search