Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rockstar_USA Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2010, 01:06 PM
    Filing taxes jointly for H1B(Indian Citizen) & Canadian spouse on H4 in USA
    Hello,

I am an indian citizen ,working on H1B visa in USA right now and my spouse is a canadian citizen. We got married in December 2009. I have following questions.

My spouse is still in canada and is planning to come down in April 2010 on H4(she doesn't have H4 right now). I am wondering if I could still file my taxes jointly for 2009 even though spouse is in canada? Or do I need to wait for my spouse to come down to USA first for that?

2. Do I need to get ITIN number first before I file my taxes jointly? Do I need to wait for my spouse to get here and then apply for it? How long it takes to get ITIN? Do I require to submit a copy of her H4 to get ITIN or just a passport copy?

3. Can I wait after 15th April to file my taxes if I don't owe anything to the government? (So that my spouse can come down here if she needed to be here to file jointly)

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2010, 06:03 AM

1. You can both choose to file joint return as residents even when your spouse has never been to the U.S. You must both report worldwide income. Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income
    2. Attach W-7 (ITIN application) with your tax return.
    3. You must pay any tax due on or before April 15, 2010 even if you file for extension.
    rockstar_USA Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2010, 08:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    1. You can both choose to file joint return as residents even when your spouse has never been to the U.S. You must both report worldwide income. Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income
    2. Attach W-7 (ITIN application) with your tax return.
    3. You must pay any tax due on or before April 15, 2010 even if you file for extension.
    Thanks for your reply Mukta. I still have some confusion.

I'll be filing as non-resident alien for 2009, does everything is still remains valid?

With which form I should attach W7 with, state or federal? Do I need wait till I get ITIN number to get refunds?

Do you know if I need to file taxes jointly in Canada too even if she was working only part time and not earning significantly?

Thanks for your time!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 01:29 PM
    You have not shared with us HOW LONG you were in the U.S. on the H-1B visa, so we cannot say whether your filing as a non-resident alien is correct or not.

More than likely, you CAN file jointly with your wife, even if she IS in Canada.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I file taxes jointly with spouse who is not a legal us citizen [ 4 Answers ]

I am a u.s. citizen and my husband is not. We have not filed yet for his citizenship therefore he does not have a ss# or any u.s. id #. I want to file jointly because this gives us the best benefits, and he has not been able to work so our income is only from one person. What should I do?

H1B filing tax return jointly with spouse on F1 [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am on H1B visa and I came to US first time on Jan 3rd 2008. I have never been to US before. My wife is on F1 visa and she came to US on Aug 14th 2007. Time when I stayed in US - Jan 3rd 2008 till Feb 26th 2009 Time when my wife stayed in US - Aug 14th 2007 - Dec 10th 2007 ...

OPT -> H1B, spouse F2->H4, tax filing & ss and medicare taxes [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I came to US from China in January 2006, and graduated December 2007. I started to work from Feb. 2008. From Feb. 2008 to Sep. 2008, I worked with my OPT. My visa status was changed from F1 to H1B on Oct. 1 2008 and my spouse's changed from F2 to H4. My employer paid Social Security...

US tax return filing Jointly with wife, canadian citizen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1 B visa in US. I got married in July 2007. My wife is on H4 in US with me since Aug 2007. Before that she worked in Canada up to April so she is going to file her tax return in Canada. In this case, can I file my US tax return jointly with her? Do I need to declare her income...

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

View more questions Search