Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dina H Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2010, 01:46 PM
    Yes you are I don't get it I swear what can I write in my phase 3 why they didn't freez only soduim acetate did in a fster way within 2 hours only
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 01:58 PM

I will again say that I told you the answer. Now, it's up to you to believe it or not.

I don't understand what you don't understand here.

Each compound is different! Each has a 'special' behaviour. A fact is a fact, and that cannot be changed!

Feb 6, 2010, 12:46 AM

So I will say that soduim acetate went faster and got freezd cause Because the mixture of sodium acetate has a higher freezing point more than the other two and Each compound is different! Each has a 'special' behaviour. A fact is a fact, and that cannot be changed!
    Comments on this post
    ?
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2010, 12:57 AM

You say:

Sodium acetate froze faster because the mixture of sodium acetate has a higher freezing point than the other two mixtures. The nature of the compound is such that it will not affect the freezing point of the mixture to the same extent as salt and sugar do to water.

Feb 6, 2010, 01:02 AM

Thanks I hope its right

Feb 6, 2010, 01:03 AM
    Ans you soory 1 more thing what can I write 4 my conclusion?
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2010, 01:13 AM

That sodium acetate doesn't alter the freezing point of water as much as salt or sugar do. This can also explain why salt is used on roads to melt ice, as salt lower the freezing point of water, the ice would have a lower freezing point, so will be a liquid at cold temperatures.

While I still have no idea of the actual experiment; the purpose of it, etc, this is the best I can come up with.

Feb 6, 2010, 01:21 AM

Um... do you think it's a good conclusion 4 my expirment? Cuase sadoium acetate went faster
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2010, 01:29 AM

If you could post the whole question, with all the details of the experiment... I might come up with a better conclusion.

Feb 6, 2010, 01:36 AM

My question is why did the soduim acetate froze fast within 2hours well other didn't my expirmnt was comparing sugar, salt, and sodium acetate that which 1 will work faster and which one will freez that's my whole expirmnt and what happnd is 1 of them workd which is soduim acetate and now I have to explain in my phase 3 why soduim workd and went faster by frezing and other didn't

Feb 6, 2010, 02:28 AM

My question is why did the soduim acetate froze fast within 2hours well other didn't my expirmnt was comparing sugar, salt, and sodium acetate that which 1 will work faster and which one will freez that's my whole expirmnt and what happnd is 1 of them workd which is soduim acetate and now I have to explain in my phase 3 why soduim workd and went faster by frezing and other didn't

Feb 6, 2010, 02:57 AM

Can I have reply 4 my question?

My question is why did the soduim acetate froze fast within 2hours well other didn't my expirmnt was comparing sugar, salt, and sodium acetate that which 1 will work faster and which one will freez that's my whole expirmnt and what happnd is 1 of them workd which is soduim acetate and now I have to explain in my phase 3 why soduim workd and went faster by frezing and other didn't what can I write for my conclusion
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2010, 06:46 AM

I was not online. I had a tuition to go to.

I'm asking you for the whole thing, from the start. What are the procedures you had to follow, etc, so that I may have a better idea of what that question is driving at. Since you don't seem to be understanding what I'm asking you;

I think I'll go through the calculations.
    So far, the only 'relevant' information I got was:
    Solution of sodium acetate= 11.47 g
    Solution of sugar= 8.67g
    Solution of salt =8.79g.

Usually, the sodium acetate should be the last one to freeze, OK? Sugar should be the first one, then salt and lastly the sodium acetate.

Were the volumes of water equal? How much water was used?
    How long did you wait until you put the solutions in the freezer?
    What is the temperature of the freezer?
    Where were the solutions? In test tubes? Cups?
    How were you determining which solution froze first? Take them out and use a glass rod to see if it was solid or just look at them from the freezerr?

As you see, I need much more information.

Feb 6, 2010, 06:54 AM

Al of them in beaker the soduim acetate took 2 hours to freez other took 2 day and still they didn't freez in the fridge I don't know th temp of it although what you said sugar 1 then salt then soduim what I have is difrnt as you know soduim was the only one and the 1 one

Feb 6, 2010, 06:55 AM
    Like every 1 in a beaker soory **
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2010, 07:07 AM

Still waiting for those:

How long did you wait until you put the solutions in the freezer?
    What is the temperature of the freezer?
    How were you determining which solution froze first?

Feb 7, 2010, 08:06 AM

Um 2hours 1 of them worked I don't know what temp but its not very high
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2010, 03:12 AM

Ok, I forgot to ask you to answer hjow much water and solutes were used in each case.

A more 'sensible' reason for your anomaly is that:
    Sodium acetate trihydrate is endothermic upon dissolution in water. This means that your salt first got some moisture, then upon dissolution, absorbed heat and hence, it's temperature fell. You didn't wait for its temperature to reach room temperature, that of the other solutions and you put all three in the freezer. Since the solution of sodium acetate was already at a lower temperature, it was easier to go colder first, and hence froze.

That's only an idea of what happened. I'll tell you again, it will be good if you posted all what you did, from the very beginning, the steps that you were given in your question.

Feb 11, 2010, 06:43 AM

Thanku I submitd it ihope I get it right

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the chemical equation of sodium and lead acetate [ 1 Answers ]

What is the chemical equation of sodium and lead acetate

Honda Anti Freez [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I'm new here A I was Wondering How Do I repair The anti freez on a 1991 honda accord step by step:)

Salt pellet damage to car from salt truck [ 2 Answers ]

Re: Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT). My car was pelted by salt pellets being sprayed on the Kennedy Expy. Near Chicago. The pavement was totally dry thus causing the pellets to fly into my car which was traveling at 55 mph, damaging the hood and fenders extensively to the tune of over...

View more questions Search