Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phoenix1664 Posts: 226, Reputation: 19

Feb 5, 2010, 10:43 AM
    Program not in add/remove
    Hi there here we go right a friend of mine has downloaded and antivirus called antivir and it is not in add/remove and you cannot delete the .exe file as she gets access denied and I cannot remember the command line to do it so could someone give me a hand please.

Thanks mat
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2010, 04:38 PM

It seems a little unwise to try and delete a program without uninstalling it. There are registry dependents on files etc. Sometimes if you try to do this, the following boot up can cause a crash.

I suggest you use either Perfect Uninstaller or Revo Uninstaller

I gave you the portable app version link for each so that you don't have to install the program just get rid of another.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2010, 10:12 PM

Give this a try

AntiVir Removal Tool
    Avira Antivirus Solution - Download AntiVir Removal Tool

Below are suggestions if a tool like this were not avail

Above are good tools and should be worth a try

If you don't have an add remove item for the app, what you/he can do is to reinstall the application and then should add the add remove item and then choose unisntall.

If that does not work, you could delete it but as mentioned there will be pieces left in registry - what you could do from there is to run an application like CCleaner which is freeware and can clean up some of the leftovers in the registry.
    CCleaner - Download
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2010, 06:57 AM

Good thinking seahwk83. I knew Norton had a removal tool, but I didn't know Antivir did. I was thinking about including CCleaner just as I hit the post button, but was too tired to go back and suggest it, there is a portable version of that.

If you were to do it manually,

Scan and delete all registry entries relating to antivir and reboot.

1. Delete antivir's program files directory

2. Delete antivir's common files directory

3. Delete antivir's prefetch entries

4. Delete antivir's App Data entries

5. Do a hard drive scan and delete all other related files, if you don't know what it is, its probably OK to leave it alone.

Anyway... the simple answer that may have sufficed, if you open up msconfig, get rid of the antivir processes, and apps, you could probably reboot and have no problems deleting the .exe and never have too much of a problem.

I like the above mentioned tools though because they do basically what I said for manual uninstallation, and leave little mark on the system.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2010, 11:56 AM

All good info and personally have had to all steps at one time or another with programs not so easily removed with add/remove

A lot of the Av apps have some sort of removal too also
    phoenix1664 Posts: 226, Reputation: 19

Feb 16, 2010, 06:12 AM

Thanks for all the info people great

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is (Remove only)? [Add or Remove Programs] [ 2 Answers ]

When I access Add or Remove Programs, I often see '(Remove only)' by the side of some programs, but I don't actually know what it means. If any of you can help me then feel free. Thanks.

Add Emove program in xp [ 1 Answers ]

Need help restoring missing remove button in add\remove program I am using XP Sp2 IE7

Add/remove programe [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to remove a programe from my comp. I have tried to remove it using add/remove programes, but it is still there even though it went thro the remove cycle. The programe is dogs5 which my grandson downloaded & is 450mb.is there any other way I can remove. Any help...

Program still in add/remove after uninstall [ 1 Answers ]

I uninstalled itunes and quicktime from add/remove programs. Even though its uninstalled The itunes is still there in my add/remove program and also in my start/programs section. I uninstalled it several times but its still there. What do I do to fix this?

Add/Remove Programs doesn't have REMOVE option [ 4 Answers ]

In Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs on Windows XP Home, some of the programs do not have the REMOVE button below them. WHY not? How do I remove programs from the Add or Remove Function, when it displays the program, but when I highlight it, it doesn't give the option to REMOVE it?

View more questions Search