Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hudsonsj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2010, 07:07 AM
    Leaking shower into the ceiling
    Just bought our first house!
    Our ceiling paint began to peel in the kitchen right where the shower is upstairs. Where some of the paint peeled, I noticed black spots that appear to be mold. The shower is all tile and pretty old. Where do I even begin to fix this? My husband loves to do projects and prefers to not call a plumber. Is this too big of a job for a novice?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 5, 2010, 07:47 AM

You must first figure out exactly what's leaking. Remove the strainer and stuff rags down the drain to stop it up. (Make it one large rag so it doesn't get lost down the drain.)
    Now fill the base with a few inches of water ad let it set for a couple of hours. Check for fresh moisture on the ceiling . Let me know the results. Good luck. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower is leaking through kitchen ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

What causes the upstairs shower to leak through the kitchen ceiling? My stand-alone shower is leaking water through the ceiling in the breakfast nook. It is a continuous drip if the shower is on. However, if it is on for a long time, the build up of pressure actually causes the water to come...

Ceiling leaking from shower [ 3 Answers ]

Our shower is leaking through the ceiling in the shape of the shower cube. I can only presume it's the sealant but it locks a strong seal around most of it. Is it just a case of re- sealing?

Shower leaking through to ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I live in a 2 story townhouse with the shower upstairs. A few days ago I replaced the Moen shower control handle (single) and splashplate behind it, and also the tub spout that has a diverter for the shower. All for cosmetic reasons only. There was a gap between the control handle...

Shower leaking on carpet and ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

This past week, approximately 5 minutes after taking a shower in my upstairs bathroom, my son said that water had leaked out around a light fixture located on the ceiling under the bathroom area. I had noticed that the water had been slow to drain during the shower so thought it was a partially...

Upstairs shower leaking through to ceiling? [ 3 Answers ]

We bought a flipped property about a year and a half ago, and, as I had feared, issues are starting to crop up. The first one we just had taken care of yesterday - there was no pressure regulator installed, and so we had 95 psi coming into the house. Unfortunately, I think Problem One may have...

View more questions Search