Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helloworld Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2003, 12:35 AM
    Should I accept money not that's not mine?
    Hi, I don't know if I am in big trouble with US LAW or not. Last year in May, My chat friend said she chatted with this new person and he said he needs help wiring the millions of dollars his Egypt bank found after a famous CANADIAN couple died in AFRICA 3 years ago, or else the bank would take the money. But the problem was this bank needed a direct relative from the US to receive the money. So, stupid me I said I am from the US and I am the relative of this couple, which of course I wasn't. I sent them the papers to show I was related (oh please don't ask me how I did it, but I did :-[). One thing after another, this year today, they called me and said they can wire me the money. But the MAIN problem is the couple's real daughter who is also the only living relative is still alive in CANANDA ( I found that out later after I had said I had sent the papers to show my relationship with the dead couple when I researched on the couple through their association in CANADA).

So, what should I do? Should I accept the money or not ? And why didn't they contact the couple's only remaining survivor--their only living daughter who is 22 yrs. Old by now? Well, I knew it sounded too good to be true but, I stupidly send the papers anyway. So now the Egyptian bank got me tailed and they say they want a cut of the money when I get it. They said they are willing to fly over to the US and get their share. Im thinking they could easily afterwards then run with the money and leave me high and dry doing time in jail. I don'twant to report to the FBI because I started this whole mess, and I can't contact the daughter in CANADA because I'm aleady in deep with faking my relationship with the dead couple.

Oh please, oh please will all you experts sho me how to get out of this crazy mess? Thank you very much! :-X :'(
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 24, 2003, 05:40 AM
    Re: Should I accept money not that's not mine?
    I imagine you'll get lots of replys on this. Let me be the first. THIS IS A SCAM!! There is no money. The next step of the scam will be to ask you to give them your bank account number and PIN so they can transfer "The Millions Of Dollars" to you. You, of course, will be allowed to keep a percentage for letting them use your account for the transfer. The final stage of this scam will be when they drain your account of all its money. DROP IT NOW! Cease any more communication except to tell them you're not available. THEN, NO MORE COMMUNICATION. You're not in deep water yet. They don't toss you in the slammer for being naïve. I have got E-mails from Nigeria Africa from saying that they heard I was a honest man,( How I don't know) and would I be willing to accept 25 million they were attempting to get out of the country. For this I would get a percentage for using my account. One more time, BEWARE! SCAM IN PROGRESS! And you're it. Back off and count yourself lucky you asked someone about bit before it went any further. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it most likely isn't. Good luck, Tom
    helloworld Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2003, 07:04 AM
    OK thank you very much speedball. ;D You really help me ease my worry now that I hear you also had this same experience. I been really scared about this all day and night and I had to get up this early this morning to check on any response. I did as you suggested. Im ignoring all their e-mails and phone calls. Im going to change my e-mail, telephone # and even going to move to another place, just to make sure they don't track me down. By the way speedball, do you know if there is a way that I can track down their e-mail account? I mean is there a way to find out where their e-mail is really coming from. My sense tells me that they may actually be right here in the US. Do you supposed so? THank You very much speedball for taking the time out to explain to me about the truth. Now I feel much better now. ;D :D
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 25, 2003, 07:59 AM
    Whoa! :o Not so fast with the paranoia. Nobody's going to single you out and come after you. They shoot these scams like spam hoping someone will bite on it. You're just one of countless many that were contacted. You called attention on yourself when you responded, so they called you. Your concerns that this might be a U.S.A. operation are groundless. The only reason they can't be arrested for fraud is that they really are in Africa. Once they get their greedy little paws on your bank account and drain it they just shut down and fade away to open another site looking for another sucker. I would respond one more time to their E mails and tell them that you are no loonger interested in their offer. If they persist then I would copy their E-mails and send them mto MSN along with a complaint that you are being harassed.. One more time. RELAX! YOU'RE NOT THE GUILTY PARTY. YOU'RE THE PONTENTIAL VICTEM IN ALL THIS. :'( So cheer up! ;D You're not in any trouble and you still have your bank account. You're ahead of the game. Just cease any more communication after you tell them you're not interested and they'll look for someone else. Remember what I told you. If it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't!! Cheers, Tom
    bskinner57 Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Jan 30, 2006, 12:31 PM
    This is a scam, run don't walk away from it. Hopefully you didn't give them any of your personal banking info.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 30, 2006, 08:17 PM
    Yes as everyone told you this is a scam it will work various ways,

Someone died in a plane crash, someone died and left a lot of money in Africa, Iraq, Iran ( Iraq is very popular right now because of all of the money that the news has talked about being wasted or found in safes)

They have a story wanting a good person to help them, a church ( ministers get about 4 of these every days form differnet people. Using some person wanted YOUR church to have this money since they have repented from their sins now.

At times they will need you to pay a deposit fee, but normally they get all of your bank numbers and before you know it, instead of sending you money they take all the money out of your account.

The other is where they send you cashier checks or travelers checks and you cash them and send them a percentage back to some account.
    Of course in a week or two when they come back as fake you are out of your money.

They take advantage of the greed in people, since all of them have some level of being illegal. And all of them come from some place overseas.
    The majority from Africa, so you will never get anyone arrested and never get your money back
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2006, 08:51 PM
    Wow. This scam is still tricking people. Just crazy.
    bskinner57 Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Feb 28, 2006, 06:41 AM
    People need to learn, that if it sounds too goo to be true, it probably is!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 28, 2006, 07:01 AM
    Many people are just naturally somewht dishonest,

A completely honest person would not do this sceme even if it was real, since it is not their money.

That is why the newer ones have someone wanting you as a "good" person to give the money away for them to charities.

It merely drives on peoples greed being bigger than their brain.
    Jenny429 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2006, 09:14 AM
    It is sick that people get involved in these so blindly. When I was selling a car on an online forum, I got a response that someone was going to buy my car but they wanted to ship it over seas.. They said they were going to wire me th emoney for the car PLUS the money to ship my car over.. They were even going to pay me "more" for my inconvenience of shipping.. Well that was a scam too.. Once I were to cash the check it would have been a fake too.. Scams are all over the place..
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 09:00 AM
    I have Trillions promissed me. Whether it be Getting money out of Nigera. They do need to start using another country Name. I am the beneficiary of The Concorde Disaster,
    I hit the UK lottery from My screen name, The Coca Cola lottery.
    I tries to get Secret Service, They won't do anything.
    I contacted my Bank to see if they wanted to set up Bogus account.( No money in it)
    They can deposit if they like. They won't do it.
    Sad thing is I may one time REALLY win something. I will think it is a scam.
    Also watch for people wanting to verify personal info.Paypal, Ebay etc.
    Don't want to scare you but, if you forged, in order to get money, may be a problem.
    I am not going to say anything, I don't think they will either, without exposing themselves.
    fix-what-you-broke Posts: 305, Reputation: 61

May 25, 2007, 02:37 AM
    Lol sorry but this is a scam, please don't fall for it... just ignore them,or get a new email address then forget it...
    Every now and then I will get emails too... im sorry I cannot resist posting the last one I got.. I guess if you look at it you will realize that there is a lot of it going about.

>Hello Dear,
    >I am delighted to write to you. My name is Miss Mary Sandra Allen, I am sorry if this mail will come to you as an embarrassment or a surprise, I just felt like empting myself to you, after reading your profile,I decided to confide in you, as am faced with total frustration and hardship.I am presently residing in Abidjan,Cote d'Ivoire.I left my country with my father after the death of my mother during the war in our country and we came here because my father owned a business here,(cocoa business), during the going political crisis here which has turn out into a civil war since 2003,my father was attacked and killed here at the hit of the crisis as the rebels were killing prominent foreigners with the reason that they were financially supporting the government against them and the rebels are accusing the government of doing the killing.
    >Presently, I am staying in a REFUGEE camp assisted by the Red cross organisation, and after the death of my father, our house was set ablaze, I was unable to meet my needs pay my bills and accommodation and in my dilemma which was another reason for going to the camp, where I could at least feed and sleep as I did not know anyone here.
    >I take permission to go to the town where they have internet access to enable me correspond with you, I also indulge in sweeping there so that I can earn some money to at least feed.
    >Secondly, my late father concealed some amount of money in a trunk box and deposited it in a safe keeping house to the turn of $18.5 million dollars which I will want you to help me move out of this country because of the war here. But the safe keeping house does not know the true content of the trunk to be cash as my father declared upon deposit as containing family valuables. My father confided so much in me after the death of my mother.
    >All that I want is your sincere and genuine help in helping me safe guide this trunk which means that you will have to come here so that we can meet face to face first before proceeding with this claim or we can ask the safe keeping company to ship the trunk to you in your country, as we have to do the claiming of the trunk which the money is concealed in, claim it out of the safe keeping house first and the money moved out of this country as I am the named next of kin to this deposit. I cannot allow the money remain here, why, because of the war here which possess a great risk to it as my life and future solely lies on it. If you have heard from the news for the past few months now there has been intense fighting and bombing by the French troops which I will like to live here as soon as we have this money moved out of this country.
    >I will also like upon your arrival here to open an account in any of the international banks of your choice here where this money will l be lodged into for transfer to your country, I know that this is our first mail, but I have decided to confide in you because I do not have any other choice than to let you know about the trunk. I want you to know that for years now, I
    >have lived in absolute frustration, tires and pains without any person around me, no parent, uncles or friend, but God had kept me until now, which I believe that I will smile once again.
    >Thirdly, I do not want to attach myself to you out of desperation so that I do not get used rather I intend you helping me to claim this money as I intend living for your country to start an entire new life and complete my education, as you will have to help in the investment of this money. But I really need your help at this trial and difficult time of mine.
    >I am totally frustrated that my whole mind for now lies on my survival which is securing this money. Please I am confiding completely in you and I really need your assistance at this point of my life as you alone knows of this venture.
    >I have enclosed my copies of my personal pictures and my late father's pictures for your view while I will expect to have yours in return.
    >I wait to hear from you.
    >Thank you.
    >Mary

I don't know if it was because I had a few drinks that night or what, I don't even remember replying now but my man reminded me the next morning... this was my reply...

Hello mary, good to hear from you,sorry to hear about your prediciment, I'm sorry also about your fathers death, it seems a lot of people from were you are die a lot. Thank you for the pictures of his funeral too. Thank you also for choosing to empty yourself to me, my hubby does that too each night.
    I would absolutely love to come to where you are, but obviously you would have to pay for me to get there, no problem I could do with a good holiday.
    You say you got my profile on gumtree, sorry to have to tell you this, but I do not have a profile on gumtree, they do not have them.
    Well it does not matter where you got my email because we are chatting now, I will be happy to help you out,but you have to help me too, you see, I also have a lot of money left to me by my father who passed away of natural causes when I was just one year old,it was sooooo sad, and even though I can't remember it because of my age,it left me unable to love another human being.. that is why I now spend all my time alone with my various animals,they are better than people,especially the sheep I bought from the store in town.anyway this money of mine, I will never see it as it doesn't exist,but it is all the same owed to me rightly,so if I help you to keep your money safe, will you help me to get the money that was left to me? After all, an eye for a eyes and all that jazz.
    Also when you reply to me can you please use my code name... idontfallforanyofthiscrap,yours can be.. uhmm let me think... scamzrus... anyway I have to go for now but please get back to me, please I'm lonely here all alone with the sheep, he don't talk much, later... xxxxxxxxx

Never heard from them again.. best bet is to ignore them, or have a sense of humor about it, they are not going to go away, it will happen as long as people fall for it.
    heidijoanne Posts: 45, Reputation: 4

May 10, 2009, 03:18 AM

Yup... scam scam scaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmm

It's fun to dream and let yourself believe in the unbelievable at times. That being said... learn to trust your instincts. I bet there was a part of you throughout the messages that knew it was fake.. if that feeling arises it's time to question the situation and not get involved! Live and learn eh... hehe

Stay cool

Heidi
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 10, 2009, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by heidijoanne View Post
    Yup.....scam scam scaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmm

It's fun to dream and let yourself believe in the unbelievable at times. That being said......learn to trust your instincts. I bet there was a part of you throughout the messages that knew it was fake..if that feeling arises it's time to question the situation and not get involved! Live and learn eh....hehe

Stay cool

Heidi

This post was opened in 2003, reopened in 2007 - time to close it down?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 10, 2009, 06:41 AM
    5 1/2 year old thread officially closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My gsd son of mine - just wondering [ 7 Answers ]

:) You guys are the best for any questions so thanks ahead -- I have a 10 mo old gsd pup he is with me all day and night -- and usually when I go somewhere -- if he is left alone it is only for no more than 6-8 hrs max -- he is trained and knows every trick I can think of and learns them fast --...

Can H1B status accept other company's check? [ 4 Answers ]

Dear Friends I'm currently working as a H1B employee for company A. My friends ask ed me to purchase two computers for him, and he did not have enough money to pay me that time, he asked his part time company B to change his name to my name and give me a check as the payment for the purchase of...

Money not mine, but will send to me [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I don't know if I am in big trouble with US LAW or not. Last year in May, My chat friend said she chatted with this new person and he said he needs help wiring the millions of dollars his Egypt bank found after a famous CANADIAN couple died in AFRICA 3 years ago, or else the bank would take...

View more questions Search