Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djeff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2006, 02:23 PM
    Mother and single parent daughter sharing a house
    I am a single parent of an 8year old girl and I recently received a job which is causing me to relocate. When I notify my mother of the job and the relocation, she asked if she could live me.

I was instantly horrified, my mother is controlling, intrusive, noisy, opinionated, bossy and sometimes overly needy. But she is my mother, she lives alone and is in her seventies.

I am so conflicted! Her moving in with me would lead to me purchasing a bigger home; she receives a good pension - so she assist with the mortgage? Does this then give her the right to honor her packrat tendencies? Do I allow pink flamingoes in the front lawn?

HELP!!
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Nov 22, 2006, 04:51 PM
    I think that you have already answered your question. Terms like horrified, bossy, etc. etc. are not good indicators of a happy life with your mom. While the financial help that she could offer would be nice, the emotional price that you and your child would have to pay does not sound like a good value to me. Life is too short, to willfully subject ourselves to the company of disagreeable people.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2006, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by djeff
    I am a single parent of an 8year old girl and I recently received a job which is causing me to relocate. When I notify my mother of the job and the relocation, she asked if she could live me.

I was instantly horrified, my mother is controlling, intrusive, noisy, opinionated, bossy and sometimes overly needy. But she is my mother, she lives alone and is in her seventies.

I am so conflicted! Her moving in with me would lead to me purchasing a bigger home; she receives a good pension - so she assist with the mortgage? Does this then give her the right to honor her packrat tendencies? Do I allow pink flamingoes in the front lawn?!

HELP!!!!!
    Oh my by all means let her move in especially if she is "controlling, intrusive, noisy, opinionated, bossy and sometimes overly needy" and what a bonus.. who could resist pink flamingos :) lol.. oh my.. Are you in a dilemma... if you do, well doesn't sound like it will be pleasant... and if you don't.. oh how much fun will the guilt be. Hopefully, mom will change her mind. Did you ask her why? Why does she want to relocate with you. Have you any siblings? Can you pretend she never asked. Oh I am sorry, guess I am not helping. This is a toughy... I will send good thoughts that Mom changes her mind.

Please let us know how you do. Whether we should keep a look out for an influx of pink flamingos...

Hang in there
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Nov 22, 2006, 05:33 PM
    Sometimes I would want to say... don’t you know that your mother will always be your mother and her mothering ways will never leave... not until your children leave the nest will you truly understand this fact about mothering... if you are not struck in ignorance... and I just don’t give a damn... you need to show it... what a world we live in... when it become fashionable to displace or elderly... Your mother is in the late years of her life and needs to be around her child or children and grand children... for it is just horrible to die alone... just horrible... suggestion... since living with mother is so hard on you... we who wish their mother was still here... are jealous of you... honey dear find a senior citizen residential complex in the city that you are relocating to... make a deposit and talk it over with mother... if you love her... tell her you do... then show her the fun that she will have with the company of people her age... many of this complexes have a new wave direction with yoga and swimming and couples night out and dating services... it would be fun to locate your mother somewhere that proves you love her and respect the work she did to bring you into this world... easy...
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2006, 06:21 PM
    Luna,

Of course you are right. Many times when my parents or my in-laws drive me mad, I do stop and even say to my husband, bet they didn't complain when they had to change our dirty dipers and all the other incredible things parents do. So, yes, I do understand what you are saying. I think Djeff just needed to talk it out just like our parents would kidbitz with other parents about the crazy and nerve racking things kids do and share their frustrations.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 22, 2006, 08:35 PM
    I would talk first and come to a reasonable compromise you both can live with. Got to go call my mom and tell her I love her.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 22, 2006, 08:42 PM
    I would say, she could move to the same area in perhaps a rental near by if she wanted to.

But you do need some pink flamingoes, everyone needs some of those
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2006, 09:48 AM
    Are you relocating to or away from the area where your mother currently lives? I'm curious as to why she suddenly wants to live with you. I get the impression that you really don't want to live with your mother. Perhaps your best way out would be to explain to her that yes, if she did live with you you'd have to buy a bigger, more expensive house, which would mean that she'd have to help with the mortgage (and other expenses as well, i.e. utilities.) If she's currently living in a house that's paid off, she might decline such an arrangement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mother/Daughter/Grandchildren [ 9 Answers ]

I have this problem... my daughter keeps digging up the past and I am made to feel like I was the world's most horrible Mom. She doesn't like it when I have said "I don't know any mother/daughter who has the relationship like we have" and then she yells back that she doesn't care about others...

Mother-daughter [ 11 Answers ]

For the last 8 years I have cared for a mom with Alzheimer's disease, and a 38 year-old daughter with breast cancer. Both have died. My oldest daughter was not there to help with the care of mom and her sister; claims no one in the family was there for her; blames me (mom) and never her dad, for...

Guardianship: transfer from mother to daughter [ 1 Answers ]

How difficult is it for a daughter to have the Guardianship of her disabled brother transferred from her mother to herself. The mother is elderly and refuses to talk about this or any other personal subject. The son is on Social Security Disability and SSI and lives in a group home. The daughter is...

Mother/Daughter conflict over sick grandmother [ 4 Answers ]

My grandmother was recently diagnosed with a terminal illness. My mother who is not handling it well at all, continues to deny that she is going to die and behaves as if everything is going to be OK. In doing so, she continues to call me for every little, umimportant thing (not relative to her...

38 year old single mother of 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... I need some help. I am a 38 year old single mother of 2. Another one on the way, in Miami Fla. My mortgage is behind. I lost my job because my car caught fire, and is unusable. No one will hire me because I am pregnant. My ex pays child support, but not as much as he should because he has a...

View more questions Search